Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

t020

I think its a fairly safe bet that Nick Clegg will either have given up politics, be in the Lords or possibly a Tory MP after the next election - i'd be very surprised if he's still a Sheffield MP and leader of the LibDems

He is being tipped as the new Kiljoy-Silk,what with his good looks,charm and capacity for chameleon impersonation.

• 3 months later...

The Electoral Boundary Commission have released the responses they've had about the boundary changes to MP constituencies that the government want to bring in before the next election.

http://consultation.boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/

I'm not sure how many people are aware just how different their constituencies are going to be so here are the maps of the new boundaries. Ecclesfield, Parson Cross, Southey and Firth Park have a particularly weird new boundary (PDFs)

Barnsley West and Ecclesfield CC

Rotherham and Sheffield East BC

Sheffield Central BC

Sheffield South East BC

Sheffield South West BC

Sheffield West and Penistone CC

Ultimately, what will this mean for Sheffield? is it likely to make a difference to the politics here?

My guess is, not really. Sheffield will now return .. well, four whole MPs and bits of two others.

Two of those four will still be solidly Labour, one is likely to remain Lib-Dem, and I'm not sure about West and Penistone. Rotherham and Sheffield East would elect a filing cabinet with a red rosette on it, and the same is true of Barnsley. (And, yes, there are plenty of places in other parts of England where people would happily elect a filing cabinet with a blue rosette on it... that's not a dig at South Yorkshire particularly.)

I suppose making the elections closer races is really one of the reasons for the boundary changes.

It emphatically is not. The Boundary Commission can only work on one principle - making constituencies all equally sized, so far as is possible given that they have to be made up of whole council wards.

("Size" in terms of constituencies refers to the number of eligible voters in them, I should make clear.)

So we're down from six constituences with interesting sounding names to four and a half compass bearings? Booo!

Also it should be Sheffield East and Rotherham, as we are the major city and it's just a small town. :)

It emphatically is not. The Boundary Commission can only work on one principle - making constituencies all equally sized, so far as is possible given that they have to be made up of whole council wards.

("Size" in terms of constituencies refers to the number of eligible voters in them, I should make clear.)

Sorry but the Boundary Commission can only work with under the rules set for them by the Government, equally sized based on registered voters (and I think it's based on registered voters in early 2000s). That does have a greater negative effect for Labour and to a lesser extent Lib-Dem constituencies because the core demographic of those parties constituencies (young people, the poor, ethnic minorities) are more likely not to be registered to vote whereas the core demographic for the Conservatives (the comfortably off/rich and the elderly) are more likely to be registered. Basically the population (registered and unregistered) of a Tory constituency is likely to be less than a Labour or Lib-Dem one so they can fit more constituencies into their heartlands.

Equal sized by head of population would have been fair. This particular change simply transfer the electoral bias from Labour (although it didn't exist in the 2010 election) to the Conservatives.

I reckon central and west + stocksbridge will be pretty closely fought contests given how close central was at the last election.

I suppose making the elections closer races is really one of the reasons for the boundary changes.

Central will remain Labour as the Lib-Dems were the close runner-up there last time and they've collapsed in the polls since 2010. The West and Stocksbridge one could be a 3 way split as it goes from Penistone down to Millhouses and contains Labour, Tory and Lib-Dem areas. There could be some tactical voting to get Clegg out if he stands.

Archived