Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

t020

It emphatically is not. The Boundary Commission can only work on one principle - making constituencies all equally sized, so far as is possible given that they have to be made up of whole council wards.

("Size" in terms of constituencies refers to the number of eligible voters in them, I should make clear.)

They don't have to be made up of whole council wards; this is a policy adopted by the Boundary Commission for England (but not in Scotland) and is not a requirement. Without it it is possible to draw five seats within the city boundary, as in my submission (reference number 001704) or Jonathan Harston's (reference number 002920).

So we're down from six constituences with interesting sounding names to four and a half compass bearings? Booo!

Also it should be Sheffield East and Rotherham, as we are the major city and it's just a small town. :)

... except most of that seat is in Rotherham. There's no such excuse for "Barnsley West and Ecclesfield", though, most of which is in Sheffield.

I also prefer interesting names to compass points.

They don't have to be made up of whole council wards; this is a policy adopted by the Boundary Commission for England (but not in Scotland) and is not a requirement. Without it it is possible to draw five seats within the city boundary, as in my submission (reference number 001704) or Jonathan Harston's (reference number 002920).

Thanks for the correction. However; does your submission cover the entire country, or have you just created five seats for Sheffield and ignored any problems it might lead to elsewhere?

Well, for years I've lived in the north of Sheffield. Now they tell me I'm living in Sheffield West. Not just boundary, but geographical changes it seems.

The names are only for reference; they don't have any authority over where you describe your location.

Thanks for the correction. However; does your submission cover the entire country, or have you just created five seats for Sheffield and ignored any problems it might lead to elsewhere?

It isn't a full proposal, but it does give an idea of how a five seat Sheffield could be fitted in to the rest of the Yorkshire and the Humber region.

The City Council also have a submission with a five seat Sheffield, reference number 023091. They have

West (or Hallam): Dore & Totley, Ecclesall, Fulwood, Stannington, Stocksbridge, the Beauchief parts of Beauchief & Greenhill

Central: Broomhill, Central, Crookes, Walkley, Hillsborough, the Shirecliffe and Firshill parts of Burngreave

South (or Heeley): Nether Edge, Graves Park, Gleadless Valley, Arbourthorne, Manor Castle, the Greenhill and points south parts of Beauchief & Greenhill, the Woodthorpe parts of Richmond

South East: Mosborough, Beighton, Birley, Woodhouse, Darnall, the Hollins End and Richmond parts of Richmond

North East: West Ecclesfield, East Ecclesfield, Southey, Firth Park, Shiregreen & Brightside, and the Burngreave, Pitsmoor, Fir Vale and Woodside parts of Burngreave.

Archived