Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

t020

Personally I can't see any major changes really. Hallam remains virtually unchanged, but instead of Crookes we will have the rural part of Stannington. The other constituencies also look vaguely familiar, and Penistone & Stocksbridge probably makes more sense.

Tony - I can't see how the Conservatives will lose ground because of this change. In all probability they will probably make gains due to (a) Richard Allan stepping down and (b) losing all those lefty lib dem students/young pros in Crookes. As for being bothered about the % professional thing, I think it's good that Sheffield has positive recognition for something, and I would think most people do. Losing the reputation would lose some of the appeal to outsiders moving into the area, as well as the regular press coverage. However these changes will have little or no effect.

t020, I agree with (virtually) everything that you say - I was merely pointing out the nuances that I detected from my point of view.

I do think that Richard Allen has a premier league replacement in Nick Clegg though, so I can't see that having any real effect once they get out on the campaign trail.

It should be business as usual, which is really how it should be.

Originally posted by Rich

Eh? Stannington part of Hallam?! So does this mean we lose our S6 postcode? :confused:

Stannington is in the POSTAL CODE area of Sheffield 6 therefore it has a post code of S6. It is now in Hillsborough Constituency but when the changes come into effect it will be in Hallam Constituency. Hallam Constituency currently holds areas with the post codes of S8, S7, S10, S11, S17 and perhaps others. So you can see the boundaries of postal code areas and constituencies do not always coincide.

Originally posted by t020

Hallam remains virtually unchanged, but instead of Crookes we will have the rural part of Stannington.

According to the report the whole of Stannington ward is going into Hallam, not just the rural parts. This will include everything from Stannington down to Malin Bridge which, as Tony states, is more likely to be lib-dem, and labour, than tory.

David Walton BAKER Liberal Democrat 2341

Arthur DUNWORTH Liberal Democrat 2700

Graham Edwin FAWLEY The Labour Party Candidate 1977

Leslie FIRTH The Conservative Party Candidate 1138

Andrew GABBITAS The Conservative Party Candidate 1368

Michael Jan MAAS Green Party 894

Timothy MOFFATT The Conservative Party Candidate 1308

Vickie PRIESTLEY Liberal Democrat 2578_

John WEBSTER The Labour Party Candidate 1595

Steven WILSON The Labour Party Candidate 1556

Originally posted by max

Captain_s, the ones missing are Stocksbridge, East Ecclesfield and West Ecclesfield which will be going into the new Pensitone & Stocksbridge County Constituency together with wards which are currently in Barnsley.

Sure, but I was refering to where I lived which is nowhere to be seen...

It loks like Bradway is in Hallam ward, but that too was forgotten in the list...

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

Sure, but I was refering to where I lived which is nowhere to be seen...

It loks like Bradway is in Hallam ward, but that too was forgotten in the list...

There is no longer a Hallam ward, that went in the re-organisation of ward boundaries earlier this year. Bradway is now partly in Beauchief & Greenhill and partly in Dore & Totley wards.

Originally posted by max

There is no longer a Hallam ward, that went in the re-organisation of ward boundaries earlier this year. Bradway is now partly in Beauchief & Greenhill and partly in Dore & Totley wards.

that's what http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewA...rticleID=852340 says.

What do you say then if it's not a ward ?

Originally posted by max

According to the report the whole of Stannington ward is going into Hallam, not just the rural parts. This will include everything from Stannington down to Malin Bridge which, as Tony states, is more likely to be lib-dem, and labour, than tory.

Yes but by losing Crookes and Broomhill we're losing lib dem votes, replacing them with the lib dem votes from Stannington. Therefore I can't really see the boundary change effecting things too much, but I think Richard Allan stepping down may allow the Tories to close the gap on the Lib Dems.

Archived