Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

t020

A few points:

Constituencies must be built out of whole wards. Everybody who made a submission to the *ward* review recognised that and plumped for 28 wards to make arranging Sheffield into 5.5 contituencies easier.

All the documentation will list component *wards*, not component comminities, neighbourhoods, districts, etc. That's why, for example, "Bradway" doesn't appear in any list. Bradway isn't a ward.

Constituency reorganisation does *not* effect postcodes, school catchments areas, telephone codes, local authority boundaries or anything else. It is purely and only arranging how what bits of geography are represented in Parliament. Stocksbridge will still be within Sheffield District and Penistone will still be within Barnsley District.

Anybody can make comments to the Boundary Commission by 29th October.

--

JGH

Originally posted by t020

I think Richard Allan stepping down may allow the Tories to close the gap on the Lib Dems.

There is certainly an opportunity, but having met Nick Clegg a couple of times I think he will fill the very capable Richard Allen's shoes extremely well indeed.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by t020

It looks OK but can Sheffield Hallam swap Nether Edge for Beauchief?

I didn't start from a position of swapping bits around, but from the position of recognising the strong boundaries formed by the valleys and fitting the constituencies into them.

The report compares with the initial Boundary Commission report as they expect you to compare your proposal to theirs and explain how yours is a better solution to theirs.

I'd be the first to admit my proposal isn't perfect, but I believe it is the nearest to perfection possible within the rules required, and a better solution that the BC proposal.

--

JGH

Beauchief to Hallam instead of Nether Edge? A bit of gerrymandering for the Tories never went amiss, eh?

I don't whink it would help though. People vore LibDem in Hallam not only because of Richard Allen, but because it's part of a general trend away from a regional Southern English party *lol*

What isn't mentioned in the Star is the removal of Burngreave from Central to Brightside. Nothing special in terms of party prospects, though.

Shouldn't the word Sheffield be included in the name for Stocksbridge and Penistone constituency?

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

I don't see any differences... MPs will still vaguely do their job...

One thing strikes me though:

SHEFFIELD, BRIGHTSIDE AND HILLSBOROUGH - Burngreave, Firth Park, Hillsborough, Shiregreen and Brightside, Southey.

SHEFFIELD CENTRAL - Broomhill, Central, Crookes, Nether Edge, Walkley.

SHEFFIELD, HALLAM - Beauchief and Greenhill, Dore and Totley, Ecclesall, Fulwood, Stannington.

SHEFFIELD, HEELEY - Arbourthorne, Darnall, Gleadless Valley, Graves Park, Manor Castle.

SHEFFIELD SOUTH EAST - Beighton, Birley, Mosborough, Richmond, Woodhouse.

There are aprts of Sheffield missing ! What if you live in Sheffield but aren't in tha tlist of area, does that mean they won't let you vote anymore ;) (lol) ?

:loopy:

So they're bunging Stannington in with Eccleshall as part of Hallam?!

Looking at the wards making up the Central constituency

Broomhill, Central, Crookes, Nether Edge, Walkley means Richard Caborn will have a fight on his hands to retain the seat.

If you look at the Local Election results from 2004 (where Labour kept control of the council) the cumulated results for the 5 wards were:

Liberal Democrat 41.22%

Labour Party 28.24%

Green Party 15.92%

Conservative Party 14.61%.

Of course, it's always tricky taking local election results and transferring them to general elections, but with Burngreave moved to Brightside and the old Sharrow ward having disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheffield got two LibDem MPs after the next election.

With the break up of the old Hillsborough contituency, with Hillsborough going to Brightside and the rest going together with Penistine, it's probable that the new Penistone and Stocksbridge seat will be up for grabs. Here the local election results for the proposed Penistone and Stocksbridge constituency (based on the results for East and West Ecclesfield, Stocksbridge and Upper Don, Dodworth, East and West Pensitone wards):

Labour 33.05%

Liberal Democrat 31.05%

Conservative 21.03%

Independent 9.64%

Green Party 2.63%

BNP 2.61%

If you interpret independent as Tories, then here's a possible three way marginal, making politics in South Yorskhire very interesting!

Archived