Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

t020

The Boundary Commission for England have announced the Local Enquiry on the proposed new Parliamentary boundaries in South Yorkshire. There was only one adverse comment on the proposed Doncaster boundaries, so the Commission have adopted the draft as their final recommendation.

The Enquiry will cover the Parliamentary boundaries within the area covered by Sheffield CC, Barnsley MBC and Rotherham MBC. The Enquiry will start at 10am, Tuesday 15th March in the Council Chamber of Sheffield Town Hall.

I have put together a summary of the full proposals and the partial proposals on my website at http://www.mdfs.net/User/JGH/Docs/Politics/ParlReview

As I pointed out before, constituencies must be built out of whole wards, consequently, all the documentation lists component *wards*, not component communities, neighbourhoods, districts, etc. That's why, for example, "Bradway" doesn't appear in any list. Bradway isn't a ward.

Constituency reorganisation does *not* effect postcodes, school catchments areas, telephone codes, local authority boundaries or anything else. It is purely and only arranging how what bits of geography are represented in Parliament. Stocksbridge will still be within Sheffield District and Penistone will still be within Barnsley District.

--

JGH

• 2 months later...

In another thread, Mo said:

Is it the same for Normanton Springs which was taken out of the old Handsworth ward (now Woodhouse Ward) and moved into Richmond. In local elections the area is in Richmond ie Heeley Constiuency but in the General Election it is still in Attercliffe? So it has a set of councillors from one constituency and an MP from another :loopy:

Richmond *isn't* in Heeley constituency. The constituency boundaries *haven't* changed yet, so almost all the wards in the city overlap constituency boundaries. This is inevitable, as:

1) wards have to be the same size

2) constituencies have to be the same size

3) constituencies have to be built out of a *whole number* of wards, not the other way round

4) constituency reviews are done *after* ward reviews.

So, after a ward review, which we had last year, you have a couple of years where the wards and constituencies don't match up. The same thing happened in the late 1960s.

Taking Richmond, *parts* of it are in Attercliffe constituency, parts in Heeley constituency, and about four houses at Manor Top in Central constituency.

Don't fret about it. It only happens about once every 30 years or so. It'll all be back to unsplit wards be the next General Election.

• 4 months later...

The Boundary Commission have published their final recommendations for new parliamentary constituencies in South Yorkshire. The full documents are available at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pbc/review_areas/South_Yorkshire_boroughs/sheffield.asp

I have put together my usual summary map at http://mdfs.net/User/JGH/Docs/Politics/ParlReview

In summary, each constituency in Sheffield is comprised of the following council wards:

Sheffield Central Constituency:

Broomhill

Central

Manor & Castle

Nether Edge

Walkley

Sheffield Brightside & Hillsborough Constituency:

Burngreave

Firth Park

Hillsborough

Shiregreen & Brightside

Southey

Sheffield Hallam Constituency:

Crookes

Dore & Totley

Ecclesall

Fulwood

Stannington

Sheffield Heeley Constituency:

Arbourthorne

Beauchief & Greenhill

Gleadless Valley

Graves Park

Richmond

Penistone & Stocksbridge Constituency:

East Ecclesfield

Stocksbridge & Upper Don

West Ecclesfield

Dodworth (Barnsley MBC)

Penistone East (Barnsley MBC)

Penistone West (Barnsley MBC)

Sheffield South-East Contituency:

Beighton

Birley

Mosborough

Darnall

Woodhouse

So Broomhill moves from Hallam to join Manor and Castle in Central, whilst Hallam gains Stannington as a replacement?

That's going to make a bugger of the 'Hallam - wealthiest constituency outside London' figures that Sheffield is so proud of.

Originally posted by Tony

So Broomhill moves from Hallam to join Manor and Castle in Central, whilst Hallam gains Stannington as a replacement?

That's going to make a bugger of the 'Hallam - wealthiest constituency outside London' figures that Sheffield is so proud of.

Damn. :mad:

1 - Wasn't this in Hillsborough constituency?

Yes I believe so

2 - Wasn't this in Central constituency?

I believe it was in Hallam

3 - This is the new name for Darnall constituency, is it?

Yes, but it used to be called Attercliffe, not Darnall

Archived