Horse Riders Using Mobile Phones

Much of my driving, now that I am retired, is on country lanes in the Peak Park. Horse riders generally wear fluorescent jackets with requests written on the back of them, requesting that folk in motor vehicles take care when overtaking.

Not a problem, I always take care when overtaking horses, but why don't their stupid riders meet us half way, and stop rambling down their mobile phones whist mounted? :loopy:

Seeing as they are on the road, they should be subject to the same rules as car drivers & mobile phones....

ahh now I see jealousy, you want to be on your mobile whilst driving. What accident do you think will be caused if a rider is on a mobile phone? They are going at walking speed not 30-60mph

Do you think? A car will keep going in to an obstacle, given that it is not intelligent. Generally it will do so at a speed much higher than a horse can manage.

A horse, whilst unlikely to be on University Challenge, generally has the sense to change course to avoid an accident, or to stop. The fastest I've seen a horse move on the road is about 10mph.

That said, the old advice that a horse is three quarters of a ton of meat with a brain the size of a walnut is good - treat them with caution. In a fight between a horse and a car, the horse will usually win - and will always get at least a draw.

The problem is there not fully in control are they first of all they must only be holing on with one hand and secondly they arent paying full attention to what they are doing, i mean it dangerous enough just riding a wild animal without tweeting about what you had for tea while sat on it.

ahh now I see jealousy, you want to be on your mobile whilst driving. What accident do you think will be caused if a rider is on a mobile phone? They are going at walking speed not 30-60mph

No, because im a biker - dont drive cars (and if I want to be on my mobile, I would buy a helmet fitted with bluetooth)

As for what accident - horse rider on phone, not paying attention, horse moves further into the road due to lack of control, making any passing car swerve to avoid it...

Archived