Horse Riders Using Mobile Phones

ahh now I see jealousy, you want to be on your mobile whilst driving. What accident do you think will be caused if a rider is on a mobile phone? They are going at walking speed not 30-60mph

This seems a good idea next time i want to use my phone while driving ill just slow down to 5mph

No, because im a biker - dont drive cars (and if I want to be on my mobile, I would buy a helmet fitted with bluetooth)

As for what accident - horse rider on phone, not paying attention, horse moves further into the road due to lack of control, making any passing car swerve to avoid it...

How can you overtake a horse safely and have to swerve, even if it moves?

I overtook a horse yesterday. I don't see them very often. I waiting as far back from it as I could, and then overtook at maybe 20mph, completely on the other side of the road. That's how to overtake a horse.

Had it moved toward me (unlikely as I overtook slowly in as high a gear as possible) there was nowhere for me to swerve too - my tyres were in the gutter on the opposite side of the road - I would have just accelerated.

A main road is a different matter, but you rarely see horses there, and I've never seen anyone using a mobile on a horse on a main road.

This seems a good idea next time i want to use my phone while driving ill just slow down to 5mph

Most people do slow down. See a car going slowly? Chances are it's a pensioner or someone sending a text.

The theory is we behave in a way where we are comfortable with the amount of risk we are happy with - so if you are concentrating on something else you tend to slow down. For this reason people tend to drive more slowly if they're pre-occupied (unless it's with being late!) or concentrating on the radio.

So the general consensus is that horse riders should be encouraged to use their mobiles whilst riding horses is it? A tanner to bucket of horse muck that the ones that can't see anything wrong with the practice, use hand held mobiles whilst driving. :suspect:

Can you tell me how you've arrived at your view of the general consensus that people should be *encouraged* to use phones on horses?

And for an encore, provide any evidence that I use my phone in the car.

Rider not concentrating?

but as they are going at walking speed this is better equated with a walker on a mobile phone than a car on a mobile phone.

worded that wrong, I meant driver not car!

The old drivers hate motorcyclists cyclists horseriders pedestrians

motorcyclists hate drivers cyclists horseriders pedestrians

blah blah blah get over it it would be nonsensical for pedestrians to follow rules meant for car drivers, the same is true to a lesser extent of cyclists and horseriders. Believe me if it was possible to avoid the roads horseriders would not go near them because of the drivers with issues that like to drive up there arses at speed and rev around them

How can you overtake a horse safely and have to swerve, even if it moves?

I overtook a horse yesterday. I don't see them very often. I waiting as far back from it as I could, and then overtook at maybe 20mph, completely on the other side of the road. That's how to overtake a horse.

Had it moved toward me (unlikely as I overtook slowly in as high a gear as possible) there was nowhere for me to swerve too - my tyres were in the gutter on the opposite side of the road - I would have just accelerated.

A main road is a different matter, but you rarely see horses there, and I've never seen anyone using a mobile on a horse on a main road.

I always pass them on the opposite side, with the clutch in and coast past - if the horse suddenly bolted into the path of the bike, I know who would probably come off worst - ME !!!

Can you tell me how you've arrived at your view of the general consensus that people should be *encouraged* to use phones on horses?

Because I composed the post after reading post 6, and ended up a lot further down the thread than I expected.

I always pass them on the opposite side, with the clutch in and coast past - if the horse suddenly bolted into the path of the bike, I know who would probably come off worst - ME !!!

If you take it slowly and carefully this will not happen. If the horse starts prancing about turn your engine off and let the rider go past you instead. A bit of consideration is all that is required.

Do you think? A car will keep going in to an obstacle, given that it is not intelligent. Generally it will do so at a speed much higher than a horse can manage.

A horse, whilst unlikely to be on University Challenge, generally has the sense to change course to avoid an accident, or to stop. The fastest I've seen a horse move on the road is about 10mph.

That said, the old advice that a horse is three quarters of a ton of meat with a brain the size of a walnut is good - treat them with caution. In a fight between a horse and a car, the horse will usually win - and will always get at least a draw.

Because I composed the post after reading post 6, and ended up a lot further down the thread than I expected.

Ok - I've quoted post 6. But I still can't see where anyone is encouraging people to use phones on horses, or where there is anything at all to suggest I use my phone in the car. Can you?

Archived