Horse Riders Using Mobile Phones

Comparisons to car drivers, or motorbike riders etc, are irrelevant. As are appeals to speed...

ahh now I see jealousy, you want to be on your mobile whilst driving. What accident do you think will be caused if a rider is on a mobile phone? They are going at walking speed not 30-60mph

... as it's still illegal to use a mobile phone while stuck stationary in a traffic jam.

What is relevant is any increased risk of an accident posed by riders of horses using mobile phones. In my opinion there are circumstances where it could pose an increased risk, like loss of control of a suddenly spooked horse, and should therefore be banned.

jb

Comparisons to car drivers, or motorbike riders etc, are irrelevant. As are appeals to speed...

... as it's still illegal to use a mobile phone while stuck stationary in a traffic jam.

What is relevant is any increased risk of an accident posed by riders of horses using mobile phones. In my opinion there are circumstances where it could pose an increased risk, like loss of control of a suddenly spooked horse, and should therefore be banned.

jb

The problem is that horse riders and cyclists don't have a license to take away from them, so making it impossible to ban them. And children ride horses and cycles on roads, hopefully not whilst using a phone.

jb

You are correct here, and that is why they are not subject to the same rules!

A rider on a horse that spooks probably won't be on a mobile whilst walking slowly along a country road. Remember the rider knows the horse-you don't! Think of them as pedestrians rather than drivers-it makes much more sense, they are in fact walking not driving a hunk of metal which contains an engine. This is just ignorance and weird jealousy.:hihi:

Also I have never seen a horserider on a road talking on a mobile-its not like this is common occurence! Maybe it was a very important call!

Above the law are we? Theres no law against beeping your horn when behind a horse riding to let them know your there its just common sence not to.

what law? That was my point there is no law against riding a horse with a mobile because it isn't a problem! :loopy:

For the jealous people around there is no specific law but if you are in an accident and you only had one hand on the reigns then I believe that will count against you-does this make you feel better?

i think you do have a point,i,m a horse rider and certainly wouldnt be tweeting while on my horse,i have used my mobile but only for emergencies and always take it with me,and def wouldnt just phone someone for sake of it while riding,and am fairly sure that most other responsible riders would feel same

You are correct here, and that is why they are not subject to the same rules!

A rider on a horse that spooks probably won't be on a mobile whilst walking slowly along a country road. Remember the rider knows the horse-you don't! Think of them as pedestrians rather than drivers-it makes much more sense, they are in fact walking not driving a hunk of metal which contains an engine. This is just ignorance and weird jealousy.:hihi:

Also I have never seen a horserider on a road talking on a mobile-its not like this is common occurence! Maybe it was a very important call!

To start with I'm not jealous that horse riders can us a phone, I have hands free anyway, I am jealous that they have a horse though, would love one.

On to your second point, I have seen a horse suddenly spooked and dart across both lanes of a busy A road (the A629 just before Huddersfield). In this particular instance the rider was lucky not to be thrown and had to spend a good 10 minutes trying to calm the horse before traffic could pass (the rider was struggling just to hold onto the horse and was being pulled from one side of the road to the other). If this rider had been on the phone when the incident occurred I shudder to think what may have happened.

jb

To start with I'm not jealous that horse riders can us a phone, I have hands free anyway, I am jealous that they have a horse though, would love one.

On to your second point, I have seen a horse suddenly spooked and dart across both lanes of a busy A road (the A629 just before Huddersfield). In this particular instance the rider was lucky not to be thrown and had to spend a good 10 minutes trying to calm the horse before traffic could pass (the rider was struggling just to hold onto the horse and was being pulled from one side of the road to the other). If this rider had been on the phone when the incident occurred I shudder to think what may have happened.

jb

The rider was not using a mobile! Im not saying horses never spook I am saying that the rider will know whether the horse is likely to spook. It sounds as though the op has seen one rider talking on a phone probably at walk on a quiet country road. Talking about banning riders from using mobiles because of that is pointless, we could also ban unicyclists from doing it but really what is the point. Its clearly a waste of time!

ps what probably would have happened would be he/she would have dropped their phone.

Archived