Man jailed for posting insults online

I'm not in any way defending this guy's actions but the charges, therefore the law he's broken is "sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature."

Given the ambiguous nature of the terminology of the law makes me wonder how many times I could have broken it.

Two people already have, by saying he must be mentally ill rather than just nasty.

If he's mentally ill, prison is the wrong place for him; but I see no evidence that he is.

If he was mentally ill i would have thought his solicitor would have taken that route, or the court may have asked for reports, but as you say it wasn't offered as any defense.

There is very little information to go on so it is pointless to speculate i guess but i hope it is the start of a clamp down on this sort of cowardly attack.

I'm not in any way defending this guy's actions but the charges, therefore the law he's broken is "sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature."

Given the ambiguous nature of the terminology of the law makes me wonder how many times I could have broken it.

So true, the law can't keep up with technology.

Lets name names, second thoughts better not ……….. I can’t remember seeing anything on here that comes remotely close to the actions of the jailed bloke.

I prefer not to read the precise details of the stuff he was posting.

I have seen (before they get deleted) posts on here about dead people which are fairly insulting and offensive, but nothing that's made me think "that poster deserves to go to jail for the amount of offence that will cause." Usually it's posts about people who've died in accidents, where people are saying it's their own damn silly fault for doing something stupid and they deserved to get killed.

Such a sentiment might even be true, but posting it in a thread about the person's recent death is hardly being considerate.

I'm glad he has been sent to jail, albeit for a very short time. The kind of abuse he engaged in is totally unacceptable and extremely hurtful to the relatives of the girls.

On a wider point, I think it's about time that courts and the criminal justice system in general took bullying and psychological abuse a lot more seriously. The internet has been a haven for spineless fools like Duffy to indulge their nasty habits. The sooner victims voices are heard, and perpetrators are brought before the courts the better as far as I'm concerned.

The idea that bullying is 'character building' is nonsense, and usually perpetrated by teachers and parents who can't be arsed to challenge the bullies, and let victims suffer in silence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/09/13/facebook-troll-sean-duffy-jailed-for-posting-vile-abusive-messages-about-dead-children-115875-23417910/

Archived