Man jailed for posting insults online

If you had bothered to click on the link you would have seen the following right at the begining of the article:

A Berkshire man has been jailed for posting abusive messages online about a schoolgirl after she committed suicide.

Sean Duffy, 25, of Reading, was handed an 18-week sentence.....

If you had bothered to read the OP you would have seen that there was a question asked and the reply was asking if OP meant the crime or the sentence:rolleyes:

Bit over the top no?

No; indeed.

A Berkshire man has been jailed for posting abusive messages online about a schoolgirl after she committed suicide.

Sean Duffy, 25, of Reading, was handed an 18-week sentence for posts on social networking sites about Worcestershire teenager Natasha MacBryde.

He previously pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates' Court to sending indecent or offensive communications.

Police said Duffy also posted abuse about dead teenagers in Northumberland, Gloucestershire and Staffordshire.

So it wasn't a single occurrence, it was multiple "communications of an indecent or offensive nature".

I can’t remember seeing anything on here that comes remotely close to the actions of the jailed bloke.

Probably 'cause the mods have cleaned things up.

Given the ambiguous nature of the terminology of the law makes me wonder how many times I could have broken it.

Not really, I think it depends on the recipient.

I mean, "sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature." would be fine if the recipient was of like-minded persuasion. Sending the same message to a Police officer, wouldn't.

Not really, I think it depends on the recipient.

I mean, "sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature." would be fine if the recipient was of like-minded persuasion. Sending the same message to a Police officer, wouldn't.

Oh really? that crime can be committed and laws broken regardless of the "victim"

Is robbery not a crime regardless of the nature of the victim?

It's about time people realised that being downright obnoxious just isn't acceptable

There's a few people on here who should take a long hard think about some of the things that they post

I'd be more than happy for posts on death/injury threads to be collated and dealt with properly in the real world instead of the mods continually just deleting them

Cyberspace IS inhabited by real people

And arrogant ones :roll:

Oh really? that crime can be committed and laws broken regardless of the "victim"

Is robbery not a crime regardless of the nature of the victim?

The point I think he's trying to make, is that if I send an offensively indecent joke to a friend of mine who likes offensively indecent jokes and finds them hilarious - have I committed a crime?

If I send them to someone who will indeed be offended, I can understand action being taken. And of course, if it's things being posted online publicly, then all bets are off - anyone could see them, including people who are going to be upset by them.

Archived