Man jailed for posting insults online

That makes it okay then :roll:

No, it doesn't actually, the guy has AS, but he should still know right from wrong and that there's a limit of how far you should go on the Internet.

Like I do... As most people (including the Mods before you, ESPECIALLY you, even start) know, I too have Asperger's Syndrome..

The point I think he's trying to make, is that if I send an offensively indecent joke to a friend of mine who likes offensively indecent jokes and finds them hilarious - have I committed a crime?

That is exactly why I said in my earlier post that the terminology of the charge seemed ambiguous.

That is exactly why I said in my earlier post that the terminology of the charge seemed ambiguous.

It is - frankly, I wonder if that's deliberate, so that the charge can be laid whenever it seems appropriate.

We have far too many action-specific laws nowadays - such as "driving while using a mobile phone" - rather than catchall laws such as "driving without due care and attention." (We still have the latter law on the books, and anyone using a mobile phone could be charged under it, so there was never any need for a specific law...)

It is - frankly, I wonder if that's deliberate, so that the charge can be laid whenever it seems appropriate.

We have far too many action-specific laws nowadays - such as "driving while using a mobile phone" - rather than catchall laws such as "driving without due care and attention." (We still have the latter law on the books, and anyone using a mobile phone could be charged under it, so there was never any need for a specific law...)

I remember with fondness the days of the Yahoo fight rooms. Everything that was said on there would come expand the boundaries of indecent and offensive.

I suppose in these terms, both parties need to concent to the experience. Like a boxing match could be considered A/GBH.

I need to look at the law more rather than just the title.

That BBC headline is misleading and designed to draw people in by making them think something like "What? Someone's been jailed for calling someone else an idiot on a message board?".

There can be a thin line between trolling and posting provocative things in order to stir debate. However, there is a very clear distinction between trolling and a deliberate attempt to psychologically and emotionally torture the bereaved. Having Aspergers is no excuse. He knew what he was doing and he enjoyed it.

No, it doesn't actually, the guy has AS, but he should still know right from wrong and that there's a limit of how far you should go on the Internet.

Like I do... As most people (including the Mods before you, ESPECIALLY you, even start) know, I too have Asperger's Syndrome..

Yes he should know right from wrong but that didn't stop him posting offensive things on the internet just like other people with AS do.

He should not have done that online, no matter whether you do have AS or not. If he is likely to do that, then surely he should not be allowed on the internet, or to self censor from posting online? He was provocative and at a time that is not socially acceptable.

The judge is right in banning the connection to the actual social networking site access.

Over the top ??? I would say he's got off very lightly, if it was my loved ones he had been making such sick remarks about he would have a lot more to worry about than a poxy few weeks inside

Aspergers or not he's scum that's no excuse the guys a sick twsited evil ****.

Archived