Man jailed for posting insults online

Hopefully another person is going to get their collar felt by the law for trolling. As reported in todays Daily Telegraph there was a twitter account called deathtojolykids which was used to taunt Dom Joly. One of the tweets read: "so ur kids f***** dead of cancer yet or what faggot?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/8765201/Dom-Joly-calls-in-police-over-Twitter-account-that-abused-his-children.html

I wonder what mittigation the defence lawyer will use to explain this?

Posting insults online may be morally wrong, but is it legally wrong? It's not that difficult to ignore trolls and if you do that they soon go away and troll elsewhere.

The case referred to by the OP could have been easily dealt with in a much better manner. The judge should have spared the guy prison if he was willing to meet up with the bereaved parents of the dead children he mocked and apologise to them personally.

Posting insults online may be morally wrong, but is it legally wrong? It's not that difficult to ignore trolls and if you do that they soon go away and troll elsewhere.

The case referred to by the OP could have been easily dealt with in a much better manner. The judge should have spared the guy prison if he was willing to meet up with the bereaved parents of the dead children he mocked and apologise to them personally.

Yes, I think so. Your line about trolls underestimates how distressing and invasive such abuse can be.

That said I think it may have been desirable for some kind of apology to the parents to be part of the sentencing.

Hopefully another person is going to get their collar felt by the law for trolling. As reported in todays Daily Telegraph there was a twitter account called deathtojolykids which was used to taunt Dom Joly. One of the tweets read: "so ur kids f***** dead of cancer yet or what faggot?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/8765201/Dom-Joly-calls-in-police-over-Twitter-account-that-abused-his-children.html

I'd love to see the guy that sent that sent down.

That's just disgusting. I hope he is found and dealt the same way as the scum in the OP.

See this is the thing. He is getting jailed for something just because some people take offence to it. In your above example, it would not bother me in the slightest. People can PM me all they want wishing cancer on my children, because wishes aren't real and it's not really going to happen.

Of course the guy in the original case went way over the top, but the sites he went on should police their sites better. Anyone who takes offence to what he considers jokes can report and/or ignore him.

So the woman who killed herself and her mentally handicapped aughter not so long ago after years of torment and abuse from local gangs should have just been a bit less bothered by it?

A civilied society shouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense whether it happens on the street or online.

I'm pleased to see this sentence.

I hope the tosspot who sends me abusive PM's wishing that my children had cancer sees it too and realises that the law might come knocking one day when I've hired someone to track him down.

As much as I think you can be a bit of a nob and disagree with a lot of what you say, that's sickening, there ain't nowt down for **** like that its twisted and sick, I hope you do track em down and smash their kneecaps in.

As much as I think you can be a bit of a nob and disagree with a lot of what you say, that's sickening, there ain't nowt down for **** like that its twisted and sick, I hope you do track em down and smash their kneecaps in.

Halibut is both wise, and civilized, enough to know that grievous bodily harm is a worse offence than offensive communication.

Archived