Only the rich can afford to use public transport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14904610

Britain's rail fares are now so high that trains have become a "rich man's toy", Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has said.

And what with car insurance and the cost of renting a property also being so high as to price people out of working for a living, one can only conclude the UK isn't in the best health.

Fortunately for the working man there is a reprieve. He can get a credit card and purchase a flight out of here. But after the youth and foreign workers have left, who will look after the elderly? And however will they sell their properties, when the average wage is under £25k?

Oh look, a misleading thread title.

Oh look, a random reference to rental rates not related to the topic.

Got to give Econoob a bit of amunition :hihi:

Anyhow, back on topic...

He told the Commons transport committee it was an "uncomfortable fact" that customers had "significantly higher incomes" than the general population.

Mr Hammond added that some fares on the West Coast Mainline were "eye-wateringly expensive".

Commuter season tickets are set to rise by about 8% on average next year.

The above-inflation increase is part of the government's agenda to reduce the cost to the public purse of running the rail network.

But the Campaign for Better Transport described the change as a "disaster for people already struggling with rising costs".

Were in a real danger of pricing even more people out of work.

Public transport has become a joke, privatisation has ruined it.

"Public transport has become a joke, privatisation has ruined it."

Of course it has. Privatised public transport is not there for your or my benefit, it's there to make brass for those who own it . Its a business, and as such it's led by profit making, sod the poor customer.

Regards

Angel.

It's all very well him bleating about "eye-wateringly expensive" fares, but as Transport Secretary what is he going to do about it?

Private company's, what can the Transport Secretary do exactly.

Gas price - through the ceiling.

Lecky price - through the ceiling.

Motor fuel price - through the ceiling.

Water price - through the ceiling.

Don't see any one doing bugger all over these prices either. We are well screwed.

Regards

Angel.

I earn less than £13,000 a year and always use public transport, so the statement 'Only the rish use public transport is clearly a load of cack.

However, if the OP were to ask me do I think rail fares are way too dear, then I'd certainly agree with him.

Got to give Econoob a bit of amunition :hihi:

Anyhow, back on topic...

Were in a real danger of pricing even more people out of work.

Public transport has become a joke, privatisation has ruined it.

Wow.

You created a whole pointless thread just for me. God I feel so honoured.

Archived