Only the rich can afford to use public transport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14904610

And what with car insurance and the cost of renting a property also being so high as to price people out of working for a living, one can only conclude the UK isn't in the best health.

Fortunately for the working man there is a reprieve. He can get a credit card and purchase a flight out of here. But after the youth and foreign workers have left, who will look after the elderly? And however will they sell their properties, when the average wage is under £25k?

...............And it's £23 a week to use the bus!! Rob dogs!!

Only the rich can afford to use public transport

Have you ridden a bus lately?

In real terms it is more expensive than it used to be.

Let's start measuring these things in something that actually matters, i.e. an hours wage for the lowest paid.

Let's start measuring these things in something that actually matters, i.e. an hours wage for the lowest paid.

It's gone up from £13.50 a week to £19.50 for a week saver over the last 4 years.

And...........they split my service between 2 drfferent bus companies so you are forced to buy a South Yorkshire travel master for £23 a week!! How is that reight?

It's only £12 a week on the tram...................................bus rant over.

It's gone up from £13.50 a week to £19.50 for a week saver over the last 4 years.

And...........they split my service between 2 drfferent bus companies so you are forced to buy a South Yorkshire travel master for £23 a week!! How is that reight?

It's only £12 a week on the tram...................................bus rant over.

They shall take as much as they can from you my friend, and they will do so for as long as they possibly can.

...............And it's £23 a week to use the bus!! Rob dogs!!

It's £21.60 for a Sheffield weekly Travelmaster actually, that any bus, tram or train in the Sheffield area. I bought mine today, so that's me sorted to work and back for the next week. But at least I am getting to work and paying my way like the majority?

Wages are higher than they used to be. Remember we have this little thing called National Minimum Wage these days. Didn't exist when I started working - some people these days have no idea what low pay is!

Minimum wage is now £5.93 per hour. Around £196.00 per week after tax. For those rare ones who need it the most expensive travel pass you can get is a SY travelcard covering all forms of buses / trains and trams at £21.60.

£196.00 - £21.60 = £174.00 left over.

Hardly breaking the bank is it. Stagecoach ones are as little as a tenner. Considering not everyone earns minimum wage anyway and those who do often are entitled to working tax credits, child tax credit, child benefits and other support options is it that much of a hardship?

Amazingly, I do have to agree with you regards train fares - but like everything else there is always a solution. Advance booking, off peak travel, special promotions and loyalty cards are all there avaliable. A little bit of googling and problem solved. Most people doing regular long distance train travel will either have travel expenses or a season ticket which many companies offer support or loans with. At the end of the day, if people stop travelling on trains the prices will soon come down - no better action than voting with your feet. There's always national express, megabus etc.

Wages are higher than they used to be. Remember we have this little thing called National Minimum Wage these days. Didn't exist when I started working - some people these days have no idea what low pay is!

Minimum wage is now £5.93 per hour. Around £196.00 per week after tax. For those rare ones who need it the most expensive travel pass you can get is a SY travelcard covering all forms of buses / trains and trams at £21.60.

£196.00 - £21.60 = £174.00 left over.

Hardly breaking the bank is it. Stagecoach ones are as little as a tenner. Considering not everyone earns minimum wage anyway and those who do often are entitled to working tax credits, child tax credit, child benefits and other support options is it that much of a hardship?

Amazingly, I do have to agree with you regards train fares - but like everything else there is always a solution. Advance booking, off peak travel, special promotions and loyalty cards are all there avaliable. A little bit of googling and problem solved. Most people doing regular long distance train travel will either have travel expenses or a season ticket which many companies offer support or loans with. At the end of the day, if people stop travelling on trains the prices will soon come down - no better action than voting with your feet. There's always national express, megabus etc.

Train season tickets are a joke! It costs me and my partner the equivalent of a months rent for a monthly pass and only saves us about 3 weekdays of travel from a weekly pass. That would be eye wateringly expensive, particularly when you compare it with most european countries and when you consider the number of people they cram on each train.

Season ticket holders are paying the wages for their staff yet the discounts all go to the one off passengers-how do they get away with that? The answer is of course a captive market with no competition. All this and they are also subsidised-It is mental!!

Each month I spend more on public transport than on gas, electric, home phone, mobile phone, broadband, water COMBINED, and that's just travelling within Sheffield! As a proportion of my income, transport costs have definitely increased.

I would like to see a breakdown of this, I thought gas and electric was the second biggest household expense after mortgage/rent. Do you buy a single fare for every journey you take?

Archived