Only the rich can afford to use public transport

I have to admit that I've got no idea as to how much public transport costs.

When my company tried to buy me out of my private fuel benefit I refused. Petrol / Diesel is only ever going to go up.

The last time I went on a bus in Sheffield it was 10p per adult and 2p per child.

However this (and previous) governments seem unable to grasp the idea that we need the carrot as well as the stick, if we're to reduce useage of personal transport. They only seem to interested in generating revenue from the traveler.

What we need is to bring back public transprt under local government control and subsidise it. Make it cheap enough to get people out of their cars, instead of just making it harder and harder for the motorist.

I would like to see a breakdown of this, I thought gas and electric was the second biggest household expense after mortgage/rent. Do you buy a single fare for every journey you take?

I know this was not a question for me but my partner and I pay over £500 on trains alone per month, I think that easily covers the other expenses. (based on monthly passes)

edit: I was not sure but we pay £500 each into a JA and that covers rent, bills, food. So yes our public transport costs easily out weigh all our other bills combined (excluding rent). Public transport costs being slightly higher than our rent.

I would like to see a breakdown of this, I thought gas and electric was the second biggest household expense after mortgage/rent. Do you buy a single fare for every journey you take?

It's not uncommon - my monthly train ticket is £220(ish) - more than my gas, electric, phone and water combined - although that is for a commute to Nottingham

Archived