Raoul Moat - The truth - at last!!

I knew it!

Ever since Moat's demise. We've had the media bang on about what a bad 'un he was - I'm not arguing with that, and I don't think anyone would. We've had images of PC Rathbone rammed down our throat, - it was terrible what Moat did to him, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that either. We've heard nothing from the police about that night, except they 'didn't know' what happened and an enquiry would give answers. They didn't know they tasered him just before he shot himself? even, likely, causing him to shoot himself? We find out in the meantime whilst these facts are being withheld from us that the tasers used by the police were unlicensed and illegal in this country. The (edit) Director of Operations (and ex-police officer) of the firm supplying the said tasers suspiciously commits suicide shortly after Moat's death.

It turns out Raoul Moat's brother might have been more right than we thought when he claimed Raoul was "publically executed". But have the police and media been successful in sufficiently whipping up hate for him that nobody cares? Has sufficient time passed that no one is bothered? It's not about Raoul Moat, it's about illegal, unlicensed tasers, witholding the facts, police abusing their powers and the rights of citizens in this country.

We've had documentaries by TV psychologists, telling us how Raoul was definitely rotten through and through, but I don't recall one documentary investigating the claims Raoul made that he was being harrassed by police constantly, so much that he felt he couldn't go about his day to day business, before the terrible events unfolded. Doesn't this matter?

The Police would not have taken the same action on a black fellow.

The media's job should be to portray both sides of the story, in my opinion, and to give us all the facts and issues behind the story.

Good luck with that one - newspapers are printed in black and white for a reason

Some media take the time to explore the story from different angles but most pander to their audience - big headlines, big photos, and little words

Maybe the police were hassling him a lot, but it seems like they had good reason to. Had they hassled him more, maybe he wouldn't have been able to do what he did. Regardless of how he was killed, he was playing with fire and you've got to expect to get burnt.

It's worth bearing in mind that if this had happened in the states ( or alot of Europe where coppers are armed) he'd have been shot dead pretty quickly after it all started. They gave him a chance with the tazer but it didn't work. He also could have given himself up so tough luck I'm afraid. Police at the scene shouldn't be worrying about wether their kit is licenced or not - they would rightly assume it is - they have a gunman in front of them not a filing cabinet.

However, I can't help but think if a police force more experienced in gun crime ( the met, Manchester maybe) it might have had a different result. The guys on the ground, I have little doubt, did the best they could with the info and training they had.

But they didn't use a taser. They tried using an unlicensed derivative of the tazer that should never have been there. The thing even failed to work when they shot him with it. All it did was panic Moat into blowing his brains out.

What a great result! An innocent policeman doesnt have to shoot him dead and live with the memory

Archived