And they wonder why so many people are unemployed!

Okay, I'd still recommend giving it a go, and asking for a travel pass for the first month of work, if you have to commute (you must do this BEFORE signing off). You may be able to get a community care grant or something along those lines.

There are some charities that can help...

http://www.trusselltrust.org/how-it-works

Cease spending money on anything non essential (owt other than food/shelter/travel to work).

I believe you rent from the Sheffield homes? Get in touch with them and tell them of your difficulties, see if it is ok to go into arrears for the month whilst you get your paycheck.

ive already signed off, i phoned them today and told them my change of circumstances that i must do by law and they said i have to sign off with the last day of my claim being yesturday. :o

and as for cutting down on the spending front.... i already have to the point where if i cut down anymore, i will starve! ive had beens on toast for the past 4 days, ive even had to stop smoking, which isnt helping my anger levels at this situation at all, and before anyone comments, this isnt my internet conection, its my sisters... im baby sitting! i dread going back home... ive only got 15p left on the electric meter :o and they want me to find my way to work everyday for a month with nothing!

i will check on the bus pass, tbh i will walk to work if i have to so thats not a great big issue... i like walking! its the situation i have to leave my poor hubby in whilst iam there.

makes you wonder why people bother looking for a job if this is how it is.

it does doesnt it, only i want a better life for myself instead of scrounging for a living everyday! i wont let it win me, just wished someone would do something about the whole situation, its a farse!

You should be able to get a crisis loan &/or a budgeting loan from the job centre, you could always try asking for a sub on your wages too.

If a claim for out of work benefits has ended, and the individual has 'signed off', then it is unlikely that a crisis loan application would be successful.

People who re-enter the jobs market have to fend for themselves.

When the Tory/Lib Dem 'Universal Credit' comes in, sometime in 2013, most out of work benefits (which the Universal Credit replaces) will be paid monthly. Not fortnightly.

This, the Tories claim, 'will better prepare jobless claimants for the world of work.' As most people struggling on benefits can barely survive a fortnight, another two weeks could tip them over into serious hardship and even criminality.

Interesting times are certainly on the way...

This, the Tories claim, 'will better prepare jobless claimants for the world of work.' As most people struggling on benefits can barely survive a fortnight, another two weeks could tip them over into serious hardship and even criminality.

I think you've misunderstood. The amount per week will remain the same, so nobody will be struggling to survive any more than they already are.

Archived