Travellers at Dale Farm in Essex

I regard them as very human. They are as Irish and English as you and me.

The only difference is that you and I choose to be contributing members of society.

They choose to try and degrade it at every end and turn.

Don't try to idealise them.

They are latter day tinkers, and not worthy of decent mens company.

Perhaps you could give us your definition of decent men,is it M.Ps,

Landed Gentry. The Church inc the Church of Rome, The Royal Family, The Bankers [Money Lenders userers] or is it the every day ordinary Joe who has to put up with these non contributors to society.

Don't try to idealise them indeed.

You have messed up your quote cutsie, but never mind.

By decent men, I mean hard working, law abiding men such as myself and the many millions in this country who go to work every day to support these idle wretches

I regard them as very human. They are as Irish and English as you and me.

The only difference is that you and I choose to be contributing members of society.

They choose to try and degrade it at every end and turn.

Don't try to idealise them.

They are latter day tinkers, and not worthy of decent mens company.

Nothing wrong with tinkers! - the real tinkers filled a useful niche.

The attitude towards 'travellers' in the UK makes me laugh.

AFAIK; EU law requires that all member states provide campgrounds for travellers.

There is nothing in the law which requires a member state to provide a campground exclusively for travellers (indeed, that would be discriminatory ... other people might want to camp there too) nor is there anything in the law which requires a member state to provide FREE campgrounds for travellers.

The British government (and local governments) appear to have overlooked that. In other countries, all people are subject to the law - that includes the planning law and it includes travellers.

I spend the summer in OberBayern. A couple of years ago a group of pikies travellers (in white vans) showed up in the village and decided they would set up camp on the village green.

They pulled up on the grass, started unloading and the Police were ther within about 2 minutes.

"But we're travellers! Under EU law, you have to provide us with a campsite!"

"Of course we do Sir - but this is the Village Green, it's not zoned as a campsite and we've come here to show you the way to a campsite. There are numerous campsites in the local area and we will make absolutely sure that you are not charged one penny more than any other camper!

Furthermore, since you're probably going to be here for a while, we will show you the way to the tax office, so that you can register and obtain tax numbers to allow you to declare your source of income and to pay taxes at exactly the same rate as everybody else."

For some reason they decided not to avail themselves of the proffered hospitality.

They buggered off.

I thought the Police had 'gone the extra mile' to make the travellers welcome. They decided to go a few miles further. How sad.

Nothing wrong with tinkers! - the real tinkers filled a useful niche.

The attitude towards 'travellers' in the UK makes me laugh.

AFAIK; EU law requires that all member states provide campgrounds for travellers.

There is nothing in the law which requires a member state to provide a campground exclusively for travellers (indeed, that would be discriminatory ... other people might want to camp there too) nor is there anything in the law which requires a member state to provide FREE campgrounds for travellers.

The British government (and local governments) appear to have overlooked that. In other countries, all people are subject to the law - that includes the planning law and it includes travellers.

I spend the summer in OberBayern. A couple of years ago a group of pikies travellers (in white vans) showed up in the village and decided they would set up camp on the village green.

They pulled up on the grass, started unloading and the Police were ther within about 2 minutes.

"But we're travellers! Under EU law, you have to provide us with a campsite!"

"Of course we do Sir - but this is the Village Green, it's not zoned as a campsite and we've come here to show you the way to a campsite. There are numerous campsites in the local area and we will make absolutely sure that you are not charged one penny more than any other camper!

Furthermore, since you're probably going to be here for a while, we will show you the way to the tax office, so that you can register and obtain tax numbers to allow you to declare your source of income and to pay taxes at exactly the same rate as everybody else."

For some reason they decided not to avail themselves of the proffered hospitality.

They buggered off.

I thought the Police had 'gone the extra mile' to make the travellers welcome. They decided to go a few miles further. How sad.

And that's how they should be dealt with wherever they turn up, though I'm sure there are one or two misguided fools who think that would be unfair.

Nothing unfair about it! - They're treated in exactly the same way as anybody else who wants to camp. It is illegal to discriminate against them ... just as it is illegal to discriminate against the rest of the world.

Everybody else is required to register their presence and travellers are given the same rights (and responsibilities.)

You have messed up your quote cutesy, but never mind.

By decent men, I mean hard working, law abiding men such as myself and the many millions in this country who go to work every day to support these idle wretches

Sorry for messing up!

If you look into what i said then you will find that i completely agree with you.

Except of course you have messed up my moniker.

I did have sympathy for the families but not the rent a mob who went to support them. They do get on my breasts. I think the council should have drawn a line under the matter by buying the properties near to the site and selling them on to anyone who wanted them. This would have saved millions and resolved the matter. This should have been a one off and the law needs changing to stop the situation happening again..Interesting article here..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2051662/Dale-Farm-eviction-Minty-rent-cause-rebel-frothy-latte.html

I think the council should have drawn a line under the matter by buying the properties near to the site and selling them on to anyone who wanted them. ]

So instead of ensuring law breakers comply we move law abiding people away from their legal homes? Interesting...

There are far too many appeal process`s they are aloud to go through to delay their eviction. They have dragged this out for 10 years because the law in this country is an Ass.

They ILLEGALLY built property on that part of Dale Farm ,so they should have had NO right to appeal ,and the courts should have issued an eviction order within a week of these people breaking the law, enabling the baliffs to boot them off straight away.

You break the law ,you should have NO RIGHTS TO APPEAL.

You break the law ,you should have NO RIGHTS TO APPEAL.

Essentially you're eliminating all appeal, because once one court has found a person guilty then, with your logic, there would be no right to appeal.

You can't have a 'Right to Appeal' in law and only apply it to some people. :)

Archived