Nuisance Phone Calls Am I Alone??

Ummmm...I'm wondering how a withheld number can be blocked?...Not that I doubt what you say, but a while back I had a withheld number come through on my mobile...By chance I actually answered it (I usually ignore them)....it turned out to be the hospital to confirm an appointment.

But if I had wanted to, and had it been a nuisance call...I couldn't have blocked it...I don't think....

Yes I know you are referring to landlines, but the principle is the same isn't it?

Ummmm...I'm wondering how a withheld number can be blocked?...Not that I doubt what you say, but a while back I had a withheld number come through on my mobile...By chance I actually answered it (I usually ignore them)....it turned out to be the hospital to confirm an appointment.

But if I had wanted to, and had it been a nuisance call...I couldn't have blocked it...I don't think....

Yes I know you are referring to landlines, but the principle is the same isn't it?

Not sure on the technicality of how it differentiates the origin of the call, but I've just checked the history of blocked calls (yes - it even gives you the pleasure of seeing the numbers you've blocked) & there are land lines/withheld/mobile/0800 numbers.

You have no idea that the calls are coming through unless they give a name when the automated message kicks in, then the phone rings & gives the options I stated previously.

The only way of checking the calls is to access the phone menu to see just how many calls have tried to come through & been blocked..

I suppose if you wanted you could call any of the numbers, just to satisfy yourself you haven't missed an important call.

Best gizmo I've ever bought.

Well done BT.

Edited by Benella

Not sure on the technicality of how it differentiates the origin of the call, but I've just checked the history of blocked calls (yes - it even gives you the pleasure of seeing the numbers you've blocked) & there are land lines/withheld/mobile/0800 numbers.

Best gizmo I've ever bought.

Well done BT.

WOW...that's excellent!

Going slightly off topic, I got a call the other evening on my landline (I don't have caller id)....The guy said he was from Virgin Media (which I have)....and then said for security purposes can you confirm your name and password! I said well...actually NO. Why he said?...I said you could be anyone, and you want me to give you personal details?...It's not going to happen. He was ok with it, but even if it was legit, it's a stupid way to carry on customer business...If anything they should be giving 'me' that information, so I know it's a genuine VM call...

I have a BT Smartphone for my landline, which can also block private, withheld, international or payphone numbers. You can also set it to block specific numbers, or set it to just allow certain numbers.

You can get apps for your mobile depending on your phone, such as 'Mr Number' which I have. You can set this to block withheld / private numbers as well.

I have a BT Smartphone for my landline, which can also block private, withheld, international or payphone numbers. You can also set it to block specific numbers, or set it to just allow certain numbers.

You can get apps for your mobile depending on your phone, such as 'Mr Number' which I have. You can set this to block withheld / private numbers as well.

But that's the problem. Blocking them all would have blocked the hospital from getting in touch with me recently...Gawd knows why the hospital finds it necessary to withhold a number....Unless I suppose it's from a specific extension...who knows?

Sounds very similar to the BT8500 I'm referring to.

Why has it took so long to come up with this reliable system?

I saw an article some years ago on one of the geek shows on TV - can't remember the programme name - offering this type of blocking device, but not with all the options of these new phones.

If your phone has a caller display when you recognise one of these numbers just don't pick up the phone they have equipment that will recognise if you pick it up and the phone line is 'live' and will drive you mad with these repeat calls if you don't answer it they will give up after around a week works for me.