Nuisance Phone Calls Am I Alone??

Posted by PeteMorris: Gawd knows why the hospital finds it necessary to withhold a number....Unless I suppose it's from a specific extension...who knows?

The reason is due to their complex switchboards - at least that is what I recently read. We have elderly friends who have blocked withheld numbers and we have advised them repeatedly to have it lifted because most of the emergency services would not be able to get through.

Edited by Jomie

I was on holiday last week and I was paragliding when my phone went off I was 2000 feet up in the air and some prat was trying to sell me some insurance,he said have I rung at an inconvenient moment :rolleyes:

He wasn't selling life insurance was he? If so, it sounds like his timing was perfect ;-)

WOW...that's excellent!

Going slightly off topic, I got a call the other evening on my landline (I don't have caller id)....The guy said he was from Virgin Media (which I have)....and then said for security purposes can you confirm your name and password! I said well...actually NO. Why he said?...I said you could be anyone, and you want me to give you personal details?...It's not going to happen. He was ok with it, but even if it was legit, it's a stupid way to carry on customer business...If anything they should be giving 'me' that information, so I know it's a genuine VM call...

What happens if it's not you that answered the call but had pretended to be..they'd have your password..I've been asked for ,say,the first and 5th letter of my password which seems a reasonable compromise...

What happens if it's not you that answered the call but had pretended to be..they'd have your password..I've been asked for ,say,the first and 5th letter of my password which seems a reasonable compromise...

But the key question is why are they ringing you about your account. If there is a billing problem well they can write to us. If they are wanting to sell us something why do they need your details?

But the key question is why are they ringing you about your account. If there is a billing problem well they can write to us. If they are wanting to sell us something why do they need your details?

So that if you decide to buy then they can be reasonably certain that you have the authority on your account to do so? ...Dunno really... just a guess