Can Wrong Sometimes Be Right?

You're walking through a forest in a South American jungle, when you come across a small village. The local police chief is about to summarily kill 10 people for some crime or other, but because of your eminence and wisdom he gives you a choice. If you kill 1 of these people the other 9 will be allowed to go free.

Is it wrong to kill one of these people? Is it the correct thing to do to allow all 10 to die?

I'm not sure there is an objectively right or wrong answer to this sort of puzzle.

If someone argues that they refuse to allow 10 people to die when they can save nine, I couldn't condemn them for that. If someone argues that they refuse under ANY circumstances to kill someone in cold blood, and that if the police chief then kills 10 people it will be his fault and not their own - I couldn't condemn them either.

Personally, I think I'd be in the latter group.

It is a stupid question to which there is no sensible answer.

There have been times in history where people are faced with this sort of decision; not exactly as laid out here, but basically giving you the option of either choosing who to save and who to kill, or refusing to choose and seeing everyone die.

It is a stupid question to which there is no sensible answer. And why single out some South American jungle village as a stereotype of moral degeneration?

Hi

With respect, those with above average educational status are/will be aware of questions like this. Importantly, a scenario similar to this has happened many times during war.

our answer would be that it indeed be a gross dereliction of ones duty if they failed to save the lives of nine people when they clearly had the opportunity to do this.

It's a real world decision. During the 9/11 attack permission was given for the Air National Guard to shoot down civillian airliners that refused to yield to military instructions. The Pilot would have killed possibly hundreds of people in order to prevent greater loss of life.

Would the police officer be killing them according to their laws?

He's going to tell you yes. You aren't there for long enough to know whether he's a corrupt police chief or not.

If it makes the question harder to answer, by all means change the scenario to a deranged homicidal lunatic who says that if you murder one of the ten people he's got chained up in his dungeon, he will let the other nine go; but if you don't, he'll feed all ten of them through his sausage-making machine.

He's going to tell you yes. You aren't there for long enough to know whether he's a corrupt police chief or not.

If it makes the question harder to answer, by all means change the scenario to a deranged homicidal lunatic who says that if you murder one of the ten people he's got chained up in his dungeon, he will let the other nine go; but if you don't, he'll feed all ten of them through his sausage-making machine.

You can certainly paint a pretty picture when the need arises.

Archived