How do bus fares get paid, when passengers don't pay to use the bus?

I ventured onto a bus today as my car was being serviced, and well, I could not get my breath. I was surrounded by the great unwashed + a dog

NOt only that, but nobody seemed to pay to use the bus.

I was on the bus and everyone who got on the bus, simply produced a pass and did not pay anything.

A dog got on the bus, but the dog had to pay to use the bus (its owner did).

So who is paying for the buses, and how are buses paid for if the majority of the passengers are not paying bus fare?

Some passes are pre-pay - I think the going rate is about £45 for unlimited bus journeys; so in those cases, the passengers are paying but doing so in advance.

For passengers who genuinely don't pay - pensioners and the like - the bus company rings up a ticket to register their journey, and claims the money back from the local council. (This is why, if you're travelling for free on a bus which crosses a county line, you still have to tell them how far you are going - the bus company might have to claim bits of your fare from different councils.)

Where the council gets the money from, I'm not sure. I don't know if it comes out of general council spending, or there is a specific government grant to cover it. Either way, the ultimate answer would be "taxpayers."

Some passes are pre-pay - I think the going rate is about £45 for unlimited bus journeys; so in those cases, the passengers are paying but doing so in advance.

For passengers who genuinely don't pay - pensioners and the like - the bus company rings up a ticket to register their journey, and claims the money back from the local council. (This is why, if you're travelling for free on a bus which crosses a county line, you still have to tell them how far you are going - the bus company might have to claim bits of your fare from different councils.)

Where the council gets the money from, I'm not sure. I don't know if it comes out of general council spending, or there is a specific government grant to cover it. Either way, the ultimate answer would be "taxpayers."

The pensioners' bit is paid by Central Government via the Council.

I ventured onto a bus today as my car was being serviced, and well, I could not get my breath. I was surrounded by the great unwashed + a dog

I am sensing a troll based theme running through your posts. Well done though it is slightly less obvious than yesterdays

Personally I am more annoyed by moaning gits, I would lump them with the smelly people and would love to share a bus with doggie passengers instead!:love:

And what about the 'nutters?' How come Ì always get the knuckle dragging window licker sitting next to me ? telling me all about his magic pocket fluff and the secret behind the numbers on the tickets !

Not forgetting the old dears that smell of cabbage and wee with whistling hearing aids.

Don't even get me started on the gobby little schoolkid who has to shout all the time to his mates because they all have earphones stuck in their lug holes going boom boom sodding tish !

Ìm going to lie down and then write a letter to the mail.

NOt only that, but nobody seemed to pay to use the bus.

I was on the bus and everyone who got on the bus, simply produced a pass and did not pay anything.

A dog got on the bus, but the dog had to pay to use the bus (its owner did).

So who is paying for the buses, and how are buses paid for if the majority of the passengers are not paying bus fare?

Your ticket price depends on your intelligence. The more intelligent you are the less you pay.

Archived