Food sell-by dates to be scrapped

taxman

This seems like excellent news.

Food sell-by dates are to be removed in a bid to cut waste and save shoppers money, ministers have announced.

The UK throws away £12bn of edible food each year and critics say confusing packaging is partly to blame.

Defra is advising manufacturers to only include use-by and best-before dates and remove sell-by and display-until labels, which relate to stock rotation.

Well that's put our food bill up, I pick up steak in the clearance area and still keep it for a couple of days for it to darken and inject some taste into it.

Throwing jars and cans away because they have passed these dates has always been daft. Throwing perfectly good food away because of stupid rules costs folk a lot of money, particularly those on low salaries.

My partner never takes any notice of sell by dates. He has always said its a con to make you throw your food away and buy more. I think people like to buy food with a long date on them in the shops and its up to them if they eat it by the use by date.

My partner never takes any notice of sell by dates. He has always said its a con to make you throw your food away and buy more.

The news made it clear this morning that "sell by" dates are for store use only.

If people are reading those and throwing stuff away when it reaches that date, more fool them.

They're changing the system to be a week and day code so that it doesn't confuse the public.

This new system won't affect my local corner shop. He happily sells food items beyond their USE by dates nevermind sell by dates.

He gets reported to the FSA or whatever it is and is closed down, but re-opens a few days later with the business in some other family members name.

Archived