Food sell-by dates to be scrapped

taxman

Well that's put our food bill up, I pick up steak in the clearance area and still keep it for a couple of days for it to darken and inject some taste into it.

Throwing jars and cans away because they have passed these dates has always been daft. Throwing perfectly good food away because of stupid rules costs folk a lot of money, particularly those on low salaries.

Even salad cream will be hit? On low shelfs. Clegg should hang himself in shame.

Who is going to be held accountable when people start going down with food poisioning?

The people who eat food that's obviously gone off!

It's your own choice what you put in your mouth, and as other people have said, if it looks, smells and tastes fine you can eat it, if it doesn't, then don't. Why would anyone else be accountable?

I remember being about 10, my nan picked up a tin of peas from her cupboard, and laughed, as with a printing error the date said something like Best before March 2999 (instead of 1999). She said "Well, if the tin doesn't explode before that, it will probably still be ok to eat, we didn't have these dates in my day" :hihi:

I also remember her complaining in Safeway due to the bread containing 'Floor raising agents" :)

I buy most of my food from the market, where it doesn't have any dates on it, and I'm fine, if it looks/smells gammy I don't eat it, if it looks ok it gets eaten.

It's how people lived for thousands of years before sell by dates were "invented"

Well, that's me never eating ever again then! When you have a mega fear of being sick, sell by dates are essential!

To set your mind at rest, here's a quote from the OP's link.

"Compliance with the new guidance is not required by law, although Defra says businesses are legally bound to label food with either a use-by or best-before date.

Its guidance says foods likely to require a use-by date - meaning they could become dangerous to eat - include soft cheese, ready-prepared meals and smoked fish.

Foods likely to require only a best-before date - meaning they may lose quality but are still safe to consume - include biscuits, jams, pickles, crisps and tinned foods."

So it's only sell by dates, not use by dates that may be going.

Archived