Sky News report- 90% of people think rioters should repair damage..

danot

A really bad situation such as this could be turned into an opportunity to make work in the community into a reality. If only we as a country could stop being so negative and develop a backbone we just might see some improvement.

I think you have a point, devil makes work for idle hands etc.

Were they all qualifed tradesmen rioting that will do a suitable job of repairing shops?

That's my thought too - who'd want a complete dullard to do any joinery/shopfitting work on their premises? Perhaps they should be made to do very simple factory work whilst in prison, and the cash made from their wares to go to payment for tradesmen... I have never understood why UK prisons are not used as factories, as they are in the US - Why not have them all on 18 hr shifts 7 days a week? Then they can pay back something to the state that they have previously abused... I realise that many of the inmates wouldn't be much use for anything, but some are bound to have better skills than others...

A really bad situation such as this could be turned into an opportunity to make work in the community into a reality.

Indeed, but community pay-back isn't the same as cleaning up the damage they did. I think the courts were in a no-win really with this group of people. Send them to jail, which is predominantly what has happened, and people will complain that it is too easy and doesn't fix the mess that they made. On the other hand they can't literally clean up the problems left after rioting, so giving them litter picking or gardening, or painting Jacqui Smith's house, and people will complain that they've got it easy and should be in prison.

Perhaps whilst they're in prison they should be put through some compulsory education. Apart from just being scum, the rioters will have been mainly poor and badly educated, so the time in jail should be used to turn them out with some basic education and skills, and turn them from scum into good productive people. They could even make it part of a pre-condition for release, so none of them go back out without at least some GCSEs, some literacy and numeracy skills and a trade.

Archived