Could you pass the 11-plus? (Link to article and Exam)

Thirty-two years after most grammar schools were abolished the 11-plus exam which controlled entry to them still divides opinion among parents and teachers. But how difficult was it?

The exam, which all children were required to take in their final year of primary school, decided what sort of education a child could go on to. Those who passed went to grammar schools, while those who failed didn't.

Read the full BBC article and take the 11-Plus here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7773974.stm

Don't forget to start the timer :D

(And tell us how you did!)

4 mins 30 secs (approx...it was actually 4:34 that it took). Full marks.

Yeah. It wasn't difficult.

Fun, though. Hard to imagine anyone struggling here. It's not taxing (although I thought some of the questions could have been worded a lot more clearly).

A note to anyone using Chrome on a mac - the Numerical Codes question doesn't line up properly - 1345 refers to LEST, not MAST. This makes the question much easier - it's impossible if 1345 refers to MAST as it appears to.

I guessed those two (the old exam technique there - no negative marking so you might as well guess) - got them both wrong, but otherwise full marks.

A note to anyone using Chrome on a mac - the Numerical Codes question doesn't line up properly - 1345 refers to LEST, not MAST. This makes the question much easier - it's impossible if 1345 refers to MAST as it appears to.

I guessed those two (the old exam technique there - no negative marking so you might as well guess) - got them both wrong, but otherwise full marks.

The codes are not meant to match up to the words - it states as much in the question.

"The codes are not arranged in the same order as the words and one code is missing."

Someone didn't read the question properly, they're not supposed to line up as your supposed to work out which code goes with which word.

15/15 for me with bout 5min left on clock.

jb

Ah - I read it as the numbers are not in the same order as the letters - so if A=1, B=2, C=3 ABC might be written as 312, for example.

If it'd had been printed I'm sure I'd have been less likely to assume the slightly off alignment was due to a coding error on the part of the website. I think my 13/15 would still have got me in to Grammar - but it just goes to show how basing it on a single test on a single day and not the pupils attainment over a longer period was perhaps not the best way.

Archived