The Autotrader Scam - Please Read

I've put my car on the Autotrader website and it's only been there a couple of days.

Yesterday a man whose e-mail address is: [removed] contacted me to say that he would pay the full asking price and extra for the service - dodgy I thought as most people try to haggle you!

He then wanted to pay me through paypal. His English was a bit off for someone with such an English name saying things like "Will be expecting from you?" (what did that mean). :loopy:

He then told me he had transfered the money into my paypal account - which didn't appear and asked for £650 back to pay his agent. By this point, I had already phoned paypal to see if they could block this payment as I was convinced it was a scam. They said that there is no way that the scammers can put this money into your account anyway, or wouldn't.

All of his e-mails were very brief and didn't answer any of my questions and then this as the end:

"I have just made the payment now and i expect Paypal to have emailed by now,check your Paypal email address if you have been messaged yet, i sent £5,264 in all including my agent fee and western union charges which is £50, So please i will need you to help me send the sum of £600 to pick up agent via western union so they can be able to come for the pick up on time and the necessary paper documents, i have inform them for the pickup arrangement after you have send their charges.Below is the pick up agent info you needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

[removed]

kindly email the necessary details to Paypal customer care:The mtcn 10 digit number on the western union money transfer receipt, which you will be given at the western union after you might sent the money as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through western union to my agent, email all the western union details to Paypal direct that is fine with me in order for the money i sent to be credit into your account and after verify everything they will credited the whole money into your account.Kindly send me the picking address asap.

Thanks and it's nice doing business with you." :loopy:

I just sent him one back saying give me your contact details just to see if he would, he didn't. :huh:

When you google this type of thing, there are lots of instances, see:

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13407

The topic is "possible car sale paypal scam".

Just wanted you to be aware if you're thinking of selling your car.

They do it with most online advertising sites, autotrader, gumtree, preloved. They say they've paid you and the money is on hold, and will stay there until you get the item sent to them (usually in Nigeria) :hihi: They send emails disguised as Paypal saying money is on hold etc. Its been around years and years. Email addresses are usually @gmail.com

Archived