Front brake pads

depending on your make of car do not attempt to do them yourself unless you are really confident. modern brake system can become air locked if you use the incorrect tool to push the brake calliper piston back. then you will have a bill for a new master cylinder, which could run into hundreds of pounds to replace.

What a load of rubbish this statement above is, why would getting air into the braking system require a new master cylinder costing hundreds of pounds. If you get air in the system you bleed the air out using the bleed screws on the brake callipers or brake cylinders, nothing at all to do with the master cylinder. Modern or old braking systems can get air into them.

What a load of rubbish this statement above is, why would getting air into the braking system require a new master cylinder costing hundreds of pounds. If you get air in the system you bleed the air out using the bleed screws on the brake callipers or brake cylinders, nothing at all to do with the master cylinder. Modern or old braking systems can get air into them.

i happen to know that if you replace the front brakes on a 05 renault kagoo, the way to ( BLEED THE BRAKES) is to let the fluid drain through with pushing the brake pedal, it cost a friend £175 pound plus vat to replace that mistake, suggest you stick to what you think you know in future, but then again its not your money on the line!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brus View Post

i happen to know that if you replace the front brakes on a 05 renault kagoo, the way to ( BLEED THE BRAKES) is to let the fluid drain through with pushing the brake pedal, it cost a friend £175 pound plus vat to replace that mistake, suggest you stick to what you think you know in future, but then again its not your money on the line!

Yes thats the way to bleed air out of the braking system, the air bleeds out with the fluid through the bleed screws. And as for not knowing what I am talking about let me tell you that I have been repairing cars for the past 47 years, cars and hgv's.

To be honest it sounds like your friend had the hydraulics bled.

You don't need to do that when replacing pads / shoes / disks / drums.

You only need to do that if you're replacing brake pipes, or if air has entered the system through the master cylinder.

PS I had 10 years motor trade experience (Ford, Rover, Renault, Mercedes and Rolls Royce).

PPS bleeding the brakes usually only takes 30 minutes at most, less with a pressure bleeder.

£175 to have the brakes bled. ! :wow:

They must have used a telescope to have seen you coming from that far. :hihi:

Why on earth would you need to bleed the brakes when you have the pads replaced? Sounds like you've been to a dealership!

(and had your pants down)

Archived