Drivers up your back end

wait a minute half the people on the first page have admitted to either applying brakes or making it look like they are, to scare the driver behind them which if im not mistaken is the same thing dimbat did

Yeah, there all in the wrong. He actually went further than just brushing the break pedal though didn't he.

i find it very arrogant for divers to hog a lane

I doubt it's arrogance, it's more likely incompetence.

weather they are doing the speed limit or not whats wrong with just moving aside, i dont agree with bullying people to speed on single carriageways though, i very rarely go over 30 in a 30 zone so have come across it before i just dont look in my mirror and no longer see them

I was tail gated on the Mosborough bypass just last week. I just knocked the cruise control off and slowed down gradually from 60. The guy got the idea and backed off, so I then went back to the NSL.

No need for touching the breaks really.

Yeah, there all in the wrong. He actually went further than just brushing the break pedal though didn't he.

only way to get the message in their thick head

I doubt it's arrogance, it's more likely incompetence.

He shouldnt be in the overtaking lane then should he

I had a great one the other day, I was on the Stocksbridge Bypass, sat at 60 (average speed cams), a driver 10 mtrs infront also doing 60 (I was neither gaining or dropping back), when Mr Nob in a blue Ferrari comes flying up behind me and sits 3mm away from my towbar, all while on the phone!!

Anyway after sitting there for 2 mins he then decides to overtake on dbl white lines, both of us!! What a nob...

Stopping distance at 60mph is 73 metres so I guess that makes you both nobs.

jb

if you are doing the speed limit in the outer lane its extremely unlikely you are overtaking anyone though...

If there are two lorries/coaches in first and middle lanes you could be as they are governed to 60 as are cars towing caravans

its like hearing people say

he was going so slow i had to overtake him and i had an accident. he caused that.

no he did not.

Very true. You're on the mortorway in the middle lane, come up to traffice doing below 70 so you pull out into the outside lane to overtake and what do you get, some plonker zooming up behind you having been travelling between 90-100 tailgating you to intimidate you to go faster than the legal speed to overtake.

On urban roads I must admit on occasions just dabbing my brakes to give tailgaters the message it usualy works, it is usualy worse at night when this same breed of bozos usualy have headlights and bumper lights glaring up your back end to them I return the compliment by turning on my fog rear lights.

My point was actually that you don't require a clear 72m gap (or whatever the braking distance is), because the other car can't stop dead, it also stops over that braking distance.

If you know the normal reaction time (about 0.2 seconds I believe), assuming that you are just watching the car in front and don't actually react to whatever hazard causes them to break, then you can use the formula

s = ut + att/2

in order to work out the theoretical minimum distance at which you could be at at any given speed before it would become impossible to hit them.

This assumes that you also know the rate of deceleration of your car and the car in front. If your car can stop particularly quickly then you can obviously get a bit closer.

If you actually see the hazard at the same time as the driver in front then in theory you could be 1cm from their bumper and it would all be fine as both cars brake simultaneously and both stop simultaneously still 1cm apart.

Archived