Drivers up your back end

It's still not quite as simple as saying that if the distance is <18m they will hit you.

What happens is that from the point you touch the brakes in your emergency stop to when they can hit the brake they will have travelled 18m.

But since you haven't stopped in that 0.2 seconds, you'll have travelled about (and I'm guessing as I don't have time to do the maths) 14 metres yourself. So they're now 4 metres closer and probably travelling 15mph greater speed.

If they have better deceleration ability than you they might still avoid hitting you. If not then they'll be in your backend by the time you're down to 20 or 30 and they're only down to 40 or 50.

But you see that's all if and buts and no consolation to someone who's been rear ended when the tailgater who's hit you blames you because a guy on the SF came up with a load if figures and says you shouldn't have stopped before I hit you according to Cyclone.

That is a fanciful theory that all cars have identical brakes and that older cars also have brakes as efficient as newer cars and that all drivers have the same reaction times as each other.

I think most cars have better brakes than the morris 1000 with drum brakes and cross plies that was around when the stopping distances were first calculated..

I'm sure people think that sometimes when I overtake them (not tailgate, just overtake). But what they don't realise is that 2 out of 3 times I reach those lights on green and the driver I've overtaken never sees me again. 1 in 3 times I don't gain very much because something else slows me up again.

So long as I overtake safely and drive safely it doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to the driver who's overtaken.

Sometimes I'm the fast driver, usually I'm the slow one these days, so I know that a lot of the time the fast driver never sees the slow one again. Still amuses me to catch up with the same young lads at every single set of lights and every roundabout between my house and the motorway though. I like to think they would observe and learn something about the difference between average and peak speed. But it seems not.

I think most cars have better brakes than the morris 1000 with drum brakes and cross plies that was around when the stopping distances were first calculated..
I fully agree but the point I'm making is are all cars equal, don't you think that it is fanciful to think so?

But you see that's all if and buts and no consolation to someone who's been rear ended when the tailgater who's hit you blames you because a guy on the SF came up with a load if figures and says you shouldn't have stopped before I hit you according to Cyclone.

Physics and therefore life is all ifs and buts. You have to know all the variables to work out the answer.

That is a fanciful theory that all cars have identical brakes and that older cars also have brakes as efficient as newer cars and that all drivers have the same reaction times as each other.

What's a fanciful theory, I was making the point that cars don't all have the same braking ability, and I think I mentioned reaction time as well.

Yes i do, they might learn not to hog the outer lane driving when others want to go faster. it is call overtaking lane for a reason

So if his bad driving justifies your dangerous driving, presumably someone else seeing your dangerous driving would be justified in ramming you off the road or an equivalent escalation, since that's what you're doing.

Obviously observing someone else driving badly doesn't justify you behaving the same or worse, he should be given a talking to by a copper and you should be prosecuted.

Archived