Drivers up your back end

Do you imagine that the drivers behind you aren't aware of a slip road joining?i

Well, by avoiding being side-by-side, I'm trying to reserve some space for the driver coming up the short, blind Handsworth on-ramp. To retain this space to my left, occasionally I'm holding back from accelerating past any vehicles on my left. By the way some drivers approach at speed from behind and try to push me along (where I don't want to go 'cos that would rob me of space to my left side) I'd say they have not taken the on-ramp into consideration. All they are bothered about is getting to the M1 as quick as they normally do.

My way of dealing with the on-ramp won't fit in with how they deal with it (they simply blast past it and leave others to brake to deal with an awkwardly placed vehicle on the on-ramp). My point was that I could look like I'm middle lane hogging - I'm in their way after all.

So they are aware of the sliproad but they deal with it reactively whereas the thinking driver deals with it proactively.

If I understand correctly you're leaving room for a car in the left hand lane to move out in order to make space for a possible car coming up the slip lane?

If you just got on with it and overtook the car in the left lane then you wouldn't be in a position to block it from moving out anyway. Hanging back is likely to see them stay where they are rather than move out as you're behaviour isn't the normal use of the overtaking lane.

Since I am a progressive driver I do get on with it, slow isn't always safe, after all. But, (I wrote) "occasionally" the timing of my arrival and the positioning of other vehicles ahead and to my side mean I hang back a little to give myself and others an escape route.

My point was that the subtlety of my positioning (imagine the cars around me as the black squares on a chess board) and speed is lost on some drivers wanting to blatt it to the M1 and, to them, I am hogging the lane.

Maybe that's what they see, maybe they see what you're doing, who can say.

I do notice quite a few drivers who struggle to find the accelerator when it changes to a 70 limit. I get the impression that they don't really know what the NSL is on a dual carriageway.

if they slap the brakes on and you hit them its your fault for driving too close.

if someone pulls infront of you and then does it its theirs fault.

No,I suspect there's the possibility of a charge of driving without due care on the part of the chap who just slammed on his brakes for no reason..things aren't always black and white.

I'd like to think I'm a responsible driver, for a 20 year old.

I Absolutely hate when people drive so close up my Jacksie, Id need a tin opener to get them off! when In all respect,

Ill be driving 30, on a 30 road, when possible.

I dont tailgate, and if for some reason someone is going horribly slow, I just overtake.

Whats the point in tailgating and intimidating the other driver?...

It really isnt needed.

Everyone has somewhere to be, Why else would you be traveling?

Doesn't cost much to have a little patience with other road users..

I asked an ex traffic officer about it once, he said he might pull you, but if you explained that you observed the situation and had the hard shoulder as an escape route in case the idiot moved left then he'd just let you go.

True, when I do it I do it quickly and with the hard shoulder as an emergency exit.

By dint of their mirrors I'd hope, but isn't this more about the persistent middle lane driver who's there despite the otherwise empty motorway?

bit like asking an ex-smoker why his grandmother gave his fags to the rent man you plumb ;)

Well I didn't know this would have been such a successful topic.

Basically you shouldn't break the law, but if you want to then just overtake, don't drive up peoples bumper constantly.

I always stay in the left lane on a dual carriageway/motorway, but if I need to turn right off of a dual carriageway I will always go into the right lane well before my turning, im not going to do any irrational lane changes at the last minute because someone wants to speed past. Well that's basically summed it up.

Archived