Drivers up your back end

You can't ignore them,you need to be aware of what they are doing..What you do when you have a tailgater is increase the distance between yourself and the car in front..gives you more chance of avoiding any sudden braking which may avoid the tailgater running into you...unfirtunately you sometimes have to do others' thinking for them...

I agree. However, some tailgaters will take it that you are specifically trying to delay THEM because you are slowing down, and not sitting right on the boot of the car in front of you (which is their idea of the correct way to drive).

I agree. However, some tailgaters will take it that you are specifically trying to delay THEM because you are slowing down, and not sitting right on the boot of the car in front of you (which is their idea of the correct way to drive).

That's really their problem isn't it..

If they get even closer then you have to slow down even more. It's the only safe and legal thing to do unless you can pull over.

If it happens to make them even angrier and stupider, then I'd recommend having a good laugh at them.

What you do when you have a tailgater is increase the distance between yourself and the car in front..gives you more chance of avoiding any sudden braking which may avoid the tailgater running into you...unfirtunately you sometimes have to do others' thinking for them...
I am very familiar with that technique and do that first and foremost (the phone trick is when they don't "get it" sufficiently quickly...and there's no police about).

But then...

However, some tailgaters will take it that you are specifically trying to delay THEM because you are slowing down
...that happens regularly and, near invariably (it's getting much more frequent these days, as if everyone is on a knife edge :huh:), gives rise to near-road rage behaviour (on motorways in particular, the tailgater often undertakes, gets in front of me and drops anchors, probably to try and 'teach me a lesson' :rolleyes: It's a good job they're predictable in their unpreditability).

Happened a few times in past 3 months, that's why I'm getting this feeling of it getting worse and worse :huh: On the last occasion, only about 2 weeks ago, the guy (battered silver Mondeo, 52 plate) nearly rammed a car in the rightmost lane that was starting an overtaking manoeuvre around a lorry at the same time he was pulling his stunt (not to mention the car in front of me had started indicating and pulling over to the middle lane...could have all turned very messy).

Which is odd, as I am really far from being slow or lane-hogging. Oh well.

I am very familiar with that technique and do that first and foremost (the phone trick is when they don't "get it" sufficiently quickly...and there's no police about).

But then...

...that happens regularly and, near invariably (it's getting much more frequent these days, as if everyone is on a knife edge :huh:), gives rise to near-road rage behaviour (on motorways in particular, the tailgater often undertakes, gets in front of me and drops anchors, probably to try and 'teach me a lesson' :rolleyes: It's a good job they're predictable in their unpreditability).

Happened a few times in past 3 months, that's why I'm getting this feeling of it getting worse and worse :huh: On the last occasion, only about 2 weeks ago, the guy (battered silver Mondeo, 52 plate) nearly rammed a car in the rightmost lane that was starting an overtaking manoeuvre around a lorry at the same time he was pulling his stunt (not to mention the car in front of me had started indicating and pulling over to the middle lane...could have all turned very messy).

If they can undertake then you can resolve the situation by moving left and letting them get that 1 car length further forwards. They're much safer in front of you than behind.

Im not a driver..(thank god with some of the posts on this thread):rolleyes:

My husband is, and due to his job drives a lot, he dosent slow down or speed up if he's tailgated, he carries on driving to the speed limit, the people behind are the ones with the problem...:loopy:

Anyway isnt tailgating illegal, or dosent anyone drive to the law today...:(

But then...

If they can undertake you then why aren't you in the left lane?

If they can undertake then you can resolve the situation by moving left and letting them get that 1 car length further forwards. They're much safer in front of you than behind.
Depends on circumstances, as always. A space on the left does not necessarily mean sufficient space to move there, let the tailgater through and move back.

Most of the times at which I experience tailgaters, I'm in heavy traffic (M1 peak times) that moves at too big a differential across the lanes, for that to be a safe/realistic prospect.

I've never had to suffer a tailgater on a 'clear' (light traffic) motorway or road (usually, I'm the, or one of the, faster cars about - within reason...it's always a good idea to let a faster car out in front to 'flush them' :hihi: and yes, I will drive at 70+ in the leftmost 'slow' lane, if it is clear).

EDIT

If they can undertake you then why aren't you in the left lane?
I was waiting for that one, but surprised it came from you. Anyway, you assume wrong, truman. See above.

Depends on circumstances, as always. A space on the left does not necessarily mean sufficient space to move there, let the tailgater through and move back.

Most of the times at which I experience tailgaters, I'm in heavy traffic (M1 peak times) that moves at too big a differential across the lanes, for that to be a safe/realistic prospect.

I've never had to suffer a tailgater on a 'clear' (light traffic) motorway or road (usually, I'm the, or one of the, faster cars about - within reason...it's always a good idea to let a faster car out in front to 'flush them' :hihi:).

EDITI was waiting for that one, but surprised it came from you. Anyway, you assume wrong, truman. See above.

I'd just as soon move over and let them past..it's not a competition on the roads and they haven't "won" if you do this..better in front of me where I can keep my distance than behind where I have no control over it.. :)

Archived