Saving is a mugs game

I changed my car two weeks ago, traded the old one in and settled the bill with my debit card. I paid the guy who sorted out some gates and fencing today, by cheque. I use a credit card quite a lot with instructions to withraw the balance from my bank account. The wife is getting keen on a new bathroom, and you all know who will win that one. Our central heating boiler will need changing soon, I hope later, but it is getting old.

We don't borrow, I will have no income until my various pensions click in next year, I've manage for over a year on my severance package and a bit of other money owed to me. I'm happy as Larry with a few quid in the bank, and would be a complete pain in the bum is I was skint, it's the way that I was brought up, I think the correct way.

Explain, please. Don't remember any vote on it.
You wouldn't ever have gotten a vote on it, since the UK Gvt didn't ever contemplate integrating it.

That doesn't alter the fact that the UK, both before the € and since the €, has always done most of its overseas business in the EU (a lot of which became the €-zone).

So, if the € tanks, many if not most of the €zone EU countries also tank (to greater or lesser extents, depending on country's balance of payment at time of exit), then the UK does the same shortly after that (no export markets left to speak of).

= cataclysmic for everybody (incl. the UK). And diddly-squat to do with a (UK) vote.

Comprendo?

when i lost my job in 2009 i had quite a bit of savings well over the cap to get no benefits, i decided to put alot of it in my mothers bank so i could get jsa after all i had payed into the kitty i kept 6000 which lost me £10 a week in jsa. i could not believe that i was being punished for being smart and saving money for a house deposit and some scum bag who has never worked gets everything. that along with the fact my intrest went from being double figures in pounds to double figures in pence in the space of a few months really made me think twice about were i wanted to spend this money

I've recently withdrawn all my savings and spent them on stuff I need/might need. When the cooker goes, I've already got a replacement, when the fridge goes I've already got a replacement, when I want a new carpet, I've already got one etc.

Money in the bank is at risk of being lost entirely and is being fast eroded by inflation.

Saving, - sod that for a game of soldiers.

Your not even saving money, just a depreciating currency, and by doing so you reduce any potential benefit entitlement. If you want to save, bury silver.

What a silly thing to do.

Now you've got to find storage for those items, their guarantee is currently running and may run out before you even test if they work and they're depreciating as we speak at a rate higher than inflation.

There's only a risk of loosing money in the bank if you have more than £75k with a single bank group, below that value is insured by the government, unless you think the government might fall as well... In which case I'm not sure your spare cooker and carpet will be much use to you, should have invested in a remote cabin and a gun instead.

I am thinking of investing in solar power but will wait till after Thursday nights Watchdog as I think it said they would be looking at solar power companies. Then if I am out of work at least will have some coming in and cheap electricity, however would you have to declare it and be penalised?

What a silly thing to do.

Now you've got to find storage for those items, their guarantee is currently running and may run out before you even test if they work and they're depreciating as we speak at a rate higher than inflation.

There's only a risk of loosing money in the bank if you have more than £75k with a single bank group, below that value is insured by the government, unless you think the government might fall as well... In which case I'm not sure your spare cooker and carpet will be much use to you, should have invested in a remote cabin and a gun instead.

I don't have to worry about the storage, I'm not concerned about the guarantee (I wouldn't need a second if the guarantee was worth owt), nor am I worried about my goods depreciating in value.

They now cost more in the shops. I'm happy.

Archived