Why not allow people to grow their own cannabis for a small fee?

mass production which leads us back to the point I have already mentioned ..mass production..taxes,distribution costs dearer product..simple economics..

Not really. You haven't explained why industrialised growth will cost more than the illegal market. Currently no tax is paid on cannabis, but you pay the premium for the criminal taking the risk. Criminals can't build big greenhouses and grow en masse, they do it in the largest scale they can in boarded up houses and flats.

It's like arguing that a brewery can't compete with Al Capone, when infact the opposite is true. Al Capone only ever had a market because the breweries weren't allowed to work.

The cost of producing herbal cannabis of a suitable grade for consumption, in a cool climate and a northern latitude, is not zero, but it's going to be around the £3-4/kg mark if grown on a large scale. Grown on a small scale, with the help of, but not exclusively under lights, something like £30-50 a kilo.

Today's black market prices (£1500-3000/kg) make it easy money. £50/kg is a much more realistic figure, and not so lucrative anymore. Organised crime types won't bother.

I'd use the monies collected by the growers licence (£10 per season per female say) for a Smoke it Neat™ campaign, and a suggested donation of one ounce per licence on harvest to a medical cannabis group so cannabis meds are free for those that need them.

And a gene bank ;)

There lies the reason why it will not be allowed ,you allow home growers you have to allow mass production which leads us back to the point I have already mentioned ..mass production..taxes,distribution costs dearer product..simple

Don't be crazy, or at least do some research. How much does it cost in Amsterdam? I'd hazard a guess that it's cheaper than here in the UK.

economics..dearer products black market among growers back to square one..its not rocket science..how many people are doing time because of the black market on beer and tobacco and what is the reason for the black market ?

Very very few, because there is hardly any black market. With tobacco the 'black market' only exists because other european countries have lower rates of tax on it[

Not really. You haven't explained why industrialised growth will cost more than the illegal market. Currently no tax is paid on cannabis, but you pay the premium for the criminal taking the risk. Criminals can't build big greenhouses and grow en masse, they do it in the largest scale they can in boarded up houses and flats.

It's like arguing that a brewery can't compete with Al Capone, when infact the opposite is true. Al Capone only ever had a market because the breweries weren't allowed to work.

Take the duty off beer ,tobacco and fuel how much are you paying for the actual product ?..does that answer your question regarding the economics of growing The only way the government would ever entertain the mass production and sale of cannabis would be to put it in the same bracket as those things which generate a enormous amount of duty,why do you think the black exists for beer and fags ? cannabis would instantly fall into the same bracket and behold back to square one.Your all not really thinking this out are you ?

Don't be crazy, or at least do some research. How much does it cost in Amsterdam? I'd hazard a guess that it's cheaper than here in the UK.

Very very few, because there is hardly any black market. With tobacco the 'black market' only exists because other european countries have lower rates of tax on it[

Cigs and beer are cheaper in Amsterdam..why is that...wdo you think it could be something to do with the governments slice of the pie ?

why do you think the black exists for beer and fags ?

Even if I accept your point, and I don't; I don't buy beer or fags from the black market. I buy a pint of guiness because I know that it is a quality product. If a criminal was selling 'black stout mixed with god knows what' I would happily give it a miss.

Yes, of course it's down to the rate of tax.

But that wasn't the point. Amsterdam has legalised cannabis use, I don't know if they grow it commercially or not, but either way it's cheaper than here isn't it...

If you think legalising something would put the price up then you've not really grasped the economics of prohibition.

Take the duty off beer ,tobacco and fuel how much are you paying for the actual product ?..does that answer your question regarding the economics of growing The only way the government would ever entertain the mass production and sale of cannabis would be to put it in the same bracket as those things which generate a enormous amount of duty,why do you think the black exists for beer and fags ? cannabis would instantly fall into the same bracket and behold back to square one.Your all not really thinking this out are you ?

And even in that situation (and you're probably right about tax), it would still be far cheaper than if someone has to take the risk of a jail sentence to grow it or smuggle it here.

Archived