Why not allow people to grow their own cannabis for a small fee?

You got to get this part correct. They did not drug themselves to write better music for themselves. They drugged themselves to escape from the horror of society and in order to write music which they hope others can understand and therefore fight and kill each other less. So drugs were a form of escapism, and then possibly turn into dependencies. There is a difference.

I don't think it's fair for you to make assumptions about the reasons why the listed artistes enjoyed using cannabis; the reasons are surely unique to the individuals concerned?

I'm intrigued by last two lines. There appears to an implication there that 'escapism' is a bad thing - or do I read you incorrectly?

Careful there Halibut, you may offend a certain religion with that statement.

One can't offend a religion Sarky, anymore than you can offend the Eiffel Tower or cheese.

One can offend people who hold certain religious ideas, but frankly anyone who's offended by me mentioning ankles is bonkers and not really worth fretting over.

Would you argue that deliberately breaking a law is not immoral?

Aren't we discussing the basis for that law? So making reference back to the current legal state is circular. You can't argue "the law shouldn't be changed because the activity is immoral because the law says you shouldn't do it"...

One can't offend a religion Sarky, anymore than you can offend the Eiffel Tower or cheese.

One can offend people who hold certain religious ideas, but frankly anyone who's offended by me mentioning ankles is bonkers and not really worth fretting over.

I offended the Eiffel tower once, I can't talk about it though.

I'm sure if the police could comment they'd be in favour of legalisation. They've more important things to do...

They can and they have Frank. I seem to recall at least one very senior police officer speaking in favour of legalisation or at least decriminalisation.

It relaxes, excites, enhances the sound of music and the pleasure of sex and music and eating, encourages artistic and creative thought, stimulates the appetite, promotes sleep, changes the perception of time. Sometimes produces lots of laughter or even introspection.

It affects diferent people somewhat differently of course, but for most of the peole, most of the time it's thoroughly pleasurable.

Have you got a problem with that?

I just hope that if it is legaslised that it's some of your family and friends along with others like you and not mine who gets killed when someones who is on this mind altering drug gets behind the wheel of a car and causes an accident.

Strange isn't it a fellow musician of mine who's been using cannabis since the 70s is one of the most depressive people I know.

Most of what you've posted above is like the story of drug taking in the 60s, yes it went on but the lengend is far greater than the reality.

Archived