Why not allow people to grow their own cannabis for a small fee?

Well, I've heard it all now - claims that cannabis improves driving. Mind you, I've encountered alcoholics who claim similar effects from 'just a few' beers.

Either they're both right, and dimwits like the doctors of the BMA are clueless, or some people's brains must be seriously pickled by years of susbstance abuse.

Maybe you should read the papers Phanerothyme referred to up thread, I'm sure he will provide references if you ask nicely.

jb

Well, I've heard it all now - claims that cannabis improves driving.

In some cases it does.

A friend of mine had 7 attempts at her driving test but could never get over her nerves, which meant that one mistake would quickly avalanche into a load more.

Her 8th test she smoked half a spliff to calm her nerves and absolutely sailed through the test with no marks against her. She is naturally a really good driver but has issues with exams and being judged.

I have never seen any evidence that alcohol does anything other than impair your driving.

John X

And driving onto pavements and crashing your car in the process.

I would bet a thousand pounds to a dog biscuit that more accidents occur while the driver is picking their nose, as opposed to smoking weed..

You seem to assume, anyway, that just because some smoke weed they have no moral standards which is silly.

You and upinwath need to get a room...:D

• 8 months later...
If someone just grew a few cannabis plants for personal use and was caught, what would be the most likely sentence be if it was their first offense?

A slapped wrist & caution if it were half a dozen plants or so, but you WOULD have a record for life and getting a job afterwards well...... not worth the risk.

A slapped wrist & caution if it were half a dozen plants or so, but you WOULD have a record for life and getting a job afterwards well...... not worth the risk.

Surely half a dozen plants is tad more than personal? Unless you're Cheech or Chong, I've heard you can get at least 4 ounce from just one plant if you do it right?

Surely half a dozen plants is tad more than personal? Unless you're Cheech or Chong, I've heard you can get at least 4 ounce from just one plant if you do it right?

No, it is seen as that many isn't production for market, I know of someone who had around 150 plants and was cautioned years ago (years before the class rereg). 6 is nothing in the cultivation game. Even if you managed 4 ounce it's not really a mortgage payer is it, if the resale value is a factor. Those 6 plants wouldn't choke out that amount week in week out don't forget.

Edit: Also, if someone has say 6 plants, its very unlikely they've spent hundreds on hydroponics and sodium lighting, so very very unlikely they'll be getting 4oz p/p.

I would be very cautious giving anecdotal advice on this topic.

It cannot have passed peoples attention that at the Crown Court in Sheffield there has been considerable attention given to this type of activity.

The fact you claim it is "for personal" is only half the battle. Do the Prosecution accept that it was only for your personal use. The number of plants is a factor but it is the likely yield that is of crucial importance. The sentencing guidelines use 40g per plant as an average yield - it is not uncommon to find yields in excess of 100 gr per plant - so your 6 plants may produce half a kilo or so - is that all for yourself ? If there is likelt to be considerable surplus whose having the rest ?

see Healey -v-Others [2012] for the most recent court of appeal guidance.

Archived