Egbert's Stone, Dore

aelfheah

Thanks for those pics, fascinating, no historian or scholar has (as far as I'm aware) mentioned them. Not even Michael Wood in any of his great 'In Search Of' series?

I wonder what the translation is?

A ranger showed me them, but asked me not to give out a grid ref for them, this was in return for showing him the nearby stone circle, something he never knew existed. :)

I'd too love to know what the markings mean.

Btw, You see the line between the writing and the symbol in the second pic, i was told this is the boundary line, with the symbol to the left being the mark of one (for want of a better word) tribe, whilst the text to the right of the line being the mark of the other tribe.

I have no idea how true this is, this isn't my area of history so i'm not familiar with text or symbols of that era.

This wonderful landmark upright stone, obviously not the original, is sited on the village green off the top of Dore Road, near private houses.

The name clearly stems from a commemoration stone dedicated back then to King Egbert of Wessex (802-839ad), grandfather of Alfred the Great, who marched north to here with an army through a subdued Mercia to the northern-most border (of Mercia) with enemy Northumbria.

Who would have planted the original stone, with it being outside of Egbert's homeland, and would it have vanished due to the Vikings or Normans?

On Savage Lane at the top of Bushy Wood Road actually.:)