Why are trains so expensive!!

I recently got an open return to London for £40 (special offer), had to travel to Wakefield to board to take advantage of the offer before travelling to Donny and on to London.

By the time I got to Donny, there was a fault in Peterborough, the train terminated and were all let off, we were advised to travel to Sheffield to catch a different train down to London (we could use any route now). So I waited for a while rather than board the 2 carriage chain and get crushed, began to think about not bothering with the trip, as I'd spent nearly 2 hours already going from Sheffield to Donny and it was going to be a while to gt back to Sheffield before having to wait for a train to London. Luckily after the 2 carriage train set off for Sheffield they announced a replacement train to London, and I managed to catch that, think I was about 3 hours late in the end as there were further delays later on. After the trip I complained about the delay and got my money back :)

Contrast that with a 1 way trip from Luton to Sheffield after changing flights at the last minute coming back from the Netherlands a few years ago, think I had to pay £45 and I didn't even get a seat on the train!

Or consider Dore station to Sheffield, £2ish for a return, you can catch the bus across the road for £2.70? Or £4 for a day saver (return).

Generally trains are expensive, but they can be cheap compared to buses for short journeys, and cheap if you book in advance/get a special offer. Or arrive late and get a refund ;)

Maybe expensive cause they are now money makers for those who own them, Virgin (Branson) etc etc.

Time for them to be re-nationalised, Government subsidised and run as a cheap Public Service, as they are in France I believe.

But it will not happen - money talks and we working class have not got any, Branson and his like have multi millions, so we are screwed.

Regards

Angel.

Maybe expensive cause they are now money makers for those who own them, Virgin (Branson) etc etc.

Time for them to be re-nationalised, Government subsidised and run as a cheap Public Service, as they are in France I believe.

But it will not happen - money talks and we working class have not got any, Branson and his like have multi millions, so we are screwed.

Regards

Angel.

I thought that then I remembered how wasteful the public sector can be.

I thought that then I remembered how wasteful the public sector can be.

Aye, correct it can be very very wasteful. I think the secret is to have it run by someone who knows what they are doing, somebody with Rail in their blood.

If such a person exists that is.

Regards

Angel.

I think the Newcastle to London line via Peterborough has always been expensive. They are a regular route for commuters from Doncaster to London ? I have not seen them reduced their pricings, or introduced any kind of discount at all. Even if you buy is early, it is still around the "off peak" price, which is around 40 region. It used to cost me around 56-58 from Sheffield to Cambridge, even if I find combination ticket journeys, but stay on the same trains and route. It is still pretty expensive.

Other train lines like the old Midland Mainline (East Midland) used to have really cheap tickets like 10 pounds per journey. Now that there is supposed to be some kind of standardised fair system across all rail network, off peak tickets are not longer as cheap any more. For some of the cheaper northern regional tickets, it has gone up. If the train companies do their own discounts, then do you get much cheaper fairs, but if they don't, then the cheapest is indeed the supposed "off peak" tickets.

Many Southern commuters from the M25 region to London have been complaining for years about the train prices down there, so...

To the OP, you may want to check out to see if there are any discount deals offered from the actual train companies.

Sheffield to Peterborough is operated by East Coast Railway for the longest part of its journey.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/toc_gr.html

£40 return.

Sheffield to Peterborough direct trains are operated by East Midlands Trains and can be better value on a slightly longer minimum journey time.

£40 return for two 22/23 October on East Midlands Trains site if you book today.

Sheffield dep 14:28

Peterborough dep 18:26

Because the journey is slightly longer( but you don't need to change train) some sites do not always show the cheapest route.

Singles are often cheaper than returns.

Book ahead-even if only a few days

Use only TOC sites- eg East Coast, East Midlands, XCrossCountry

Split ticket at intermediate station(s) Sheffield- Nottingham, Nottingham, Peterborough.

Register on TOC sites for offers.eg XCrossCountry have given me a 25% discount on one transaction of any number of tickets!

£40 return.

Sheffield to Peterborough direct trains are operated by East Midlands Trains and can be better value on a slightly longer minimum journey time.

£40 return for two 22/23 October on East Midlands Trains site if you book today.

Sheffield dep 14:28

Peterborough dep 18:26

Because the journey is slightly longer( but you don't need to change train) some sites do not always show the cheapest route.

Singles are often cheaper than returns.

Book ahead-even if only a few days

Use only TOC sites- eg East Coast, East Midlands, XCrossCountry

Split ticket at intermediate station(s) Sheffield- Nottingham, Nottingham, Peterborough.

Register on TOC sites for offers.eg XCrossCountry have given me a 25% discount on one transaction of any number of tickets!

Thank you, just booked them, your a legend! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::banana::clap:

Hi

We don't use public transport for obvious reasons. What we despise is that our money ie tax money is used to subsidise travel for all that use the trains/public transport whilst our fuel and road tax shoots throught he roof - the tax on our Range Rover Sport is about 440 and going to be 460 for the year, not fair, but we refuse to sell our modest cars. FACT

Archived