Credit to Clegg for refusing to abolish 50p tax rate

I assumed there would be figures that would show one way or another whether the 50p rate was either bringing in additional funds or losing them. If there is no evidence it is losing the treasury money, then there is probably no evidence to suggest it is bringing in extra revenues either.

We argued quite a lot about this on another thread and nobody could agree. One thing I'm sure we can agree on is to wait and see what the report says.

There are three key issues here.

Q1. Does the 50p rate directly bring in more than it costs to directly administer?

A: Nobody quite knows yet but rumors are that it is negligible.

Q2. Does the 50p rate discourage people and business from paying tax in the UK.

A. Nobody quite knows.

Q3. Does the 50p rate make some people feel better about their own lower income?

A. Yes, and some politicians use it to curry favour with voters that suit their persuasion.

Only questions 1 and 2 should have any bearing on the outcome. Sadly, Q3 is the one that matters right now.

The test of this would be to create a 45p band that applied to middle earners.

I interpreted it as a rhetorical question.

To be fair, I thought I'd actually heard that a report had concluded that, but if it's not the kind of report that is based on data, ie it's just speculation then I'm happy to wait for a more reliable report.

It'd be the media who were reporting it without the details.

I think it is wrong to half (or more) as income tax, I seem to remember when Alistar Darling

introduced it, the re-election of Labour was pretty slim, so Darling created the band

so Labour could 'dare' the tories to remove it.

I also think you should not begin paying income tax until you are earning at least 60% of the national average wage/ salary.

Having the above 2 conditions may also mean having the lowest income tax band set at around 25 pence.

• 2 months later...

Archived