67 years ago today

General Uruqhart's first airborne divison went in with over 10,000 men came out with less than 3,000.

A lot of fine soldiers squandered in an operation that was messed up from the start.

Ignoring RAF recce photos showing panzers in area

Over confidence

Refusal or ignoring Dutch intelligence reports

On 17th sept 1944 10,000 men parachuted or arrived by glider to attempt to capture the bridge at arnhem, less than 2000 escaped.

http://www.market-garden.info/operation-market-garden-story.html

I went to Arnhem 2 years ago and it was an honour to meet some of the survivors of market garden.

HEROES EVERY ONE !

Sorry to be ignorant, what happened to the 8,000. Were they captured or killed in action. Brave lads the lot of them.

Regards

Angel.

Sorry to be ignorant, what happened to the 8,000. Were they captured or killed in action. Brave lads the lot of them.

Regards

Angel.

Of the British I think between 1000 and 1500 were killed and between 5500 and 6000 taken prisoner.

It's also important to remember that the Americans and Polish were also greatly involved.

If you want to know more about it there is a very good film calles A Bridge Too Far. Awesome star studded film.

Of the British I think between 1000 and 1500 were killed and between 5500 and 6000 taken prisoner.

It's also important to remember that the Americans and Polish were also greatly involved.

If you want to know more about it there is a very good film calles A Bridge Too Far. Awesome star studded film.

Here is some info.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/

Archived