Jobcentres to send poor and hungry to charity food banks

I see people outside jobcentres smoking and on mobile phones; they find the money those things don't they eh?!

Was thinking the same thing myself. I just dont understand how anyone can get into such a mess that they cannot afford food. There is so much help avaliable these days to sort out problems. Are they ignoring it or is it just complete lack of priorities. How many of these people using the service smoke, drink, have sky tv, have some games consoles, a decent mobile, a selection of bling. If you are so desprate for money that you cannot afford a tin of smart price beans get rid of some of that stuff - it might be a start.

I really dont understand why people are so against it.

Lots of people claim they need their crisis loan or emergency payments but not all meet criteria. However we know food is vital so that's what they get. Really, what's the problem? Giving people food vouchers as oppose to cash stops it accidently being slipped away on a new top from Primark, a mobile top up, a bottle of white lightning, a cheeky bet, a fix of drugs or a couple of pints at the local.

I seems this government cant win no matter what they do. They moan when the government doesn't help people in need, now they moaning that they are being offered food and not cash...... next thing they will be moaning about the cost of benefits to "hard working" taxpayers.. Is it cos they is a tory??

I wonder if this idea was proposed by the previous government it would be a different story. For some people in this city the sun never stopped shining out of the labour posterior.

I agree with the principle of your post, but the government aren't paying for the food parcels - all the job centre staff will be doing is telling those who are skint and/or refused a crisis loan where the nearest food charity is. Ok if you live in london or possibly Sheffield but if you live in a small town you might be pretty much knackered.

Was thinking the same thing myself. I just dont understand how anyone can get into such a mess that they cannot afford food. There is so much help avaliable these days to sort out problems. Are they ignoring it or is it just complete lack of priorities. How many of these people using the service smoke, drink, have sky tv, have some games consoles, a decent mobile, a selection of bling. If you are so desprate for money that you cannot afford a tin of smart price beans get rid of some of that stuff - it might be a start.

I really dont understand why people are so against it.

Lots of people claim they need their crisis loan or emergency payments but not all meet criteria. However we know food is vital so that's what they get. Really, what's the problem? Giving people food vouchers as oppose to cash stops it accidently being slipped away on a new top from Primark, a mobile top up, a bottle of white lightning, a cheeky bet, a fix of drugs or a couple of pints at the local.

I seems this government cant win no matter what they do. They moan when the government doesn't help people in need, now they moaning that they are being offered food and not cash...... next thing they will be moaning about the cost of benefits to "hard working" taxpayers.. Is it cos they is a tory??

I wonder if this idea was proposed by the previous government it would be a different story. For some people in this city the sun never stopped shining out of the labour posterior.

So smug eh? Let's hope you don't find yourself down on your uppers.

So smug eh? Let's hope you don't find yourself down on your uppers.

For your information I have been there. I was out of work for nearly year and had a big loan to pay off after a parent left nothing in their estate. But somehow I managed to keep food in the house and a roof over my head using just my benefits.

Its not beyond possibility.

For your information I have been there. I was out of work for nearly year and had a big loan to pay off after a parent left nothing in their estate. But somehow I managed to keep food in the house and a roof over my head using just my benefits.

Its not beyond possibility.

Do you have any proof of this? I mean we can all type anything over the Internet.

Further proof that the Job Centres are run by clueless cretins who clearly FAIL at life! :rant:

What a complete pratt you are Rich.

Please explain your assumptions that jobcentre staff are all "Cretins" and losers in life.

Ì take it that you contribute to society by working and paying taxes then ?

Answer on a postage stamp please...

Do you have any proof of this? I mean we can all type anything over the Internet.
:rolleyes:

Untold numbers of people have been in this situation, and got themselves out of it. Is it so hard to believe?

Just like ECCOnoob, I've been there, with both myself and my Mrs fired from the same company within weeks of one another. Yuppies cut at the knees, with big-ish mortgage, car finance, this-that-the-other. Not eligible for any benefits whatsoever, not even JSA (at first). Then my Mrs telling me, within weeks of the above and as we had nothing coming in, sobbing her heart out, that we were expecting.

Simple solutions: cancelled Sky and any other such 'luxuries', eBayed the gadgets and the more-important-but-we-can-still-do-without stuff, started 'something' on basis of my sellable skills (still going today), sued the ex-employer and kept applying for jobs (took 6 months, and had to move countries).

Untold numbers of people have been in this situation, and got themselves out of it. Is it so hard to believe?

Just like ECCOnoob, I've been there, with both myself and my Mrs fired from the same company within weeks of one another. Yuppies cut at the knees, with big-ish mortgage, car finance, this-that-the-other. Not eligible for any benefits whatsoever, not even JSA (at first). Then my Mrs telling me, within weeks of the above and as we had nothing coming in, sobbing her heart out, that we were expecting.

Simple solutions: cancelled Sky and any other such 'luxuries', eBayed the gadgets and the more-important-but-we-can-still-do-without stuff, started 'something' on basis of my sellable skills (still going today), sued the ex-employer and kept applying for jobs (took 6 months, and had to move countries).

All very well, but all this requires hard work, determination, and using your loaf. Not very popular on this forum i'm afraid.

Circumstances vary enormously. What does the poor guy do who has no gadgets to sell and no luxuries he can do without to surrenderl, because he's already living on the breadline?

Archived