Jobcentres to send poor and hungry to charity food banks

If in need I think I'd rather get a food parcel than a bit of depreciating money.

With the inflation in food prices, a food parcel is vastly superior to a £X note, £X note buys less and less all the time.

At least a food parcel can remain the same.

If people are really faced with this choice surely a food parcel is a positive move, in reality though the choice is far more likely to be which brand of cigs or beer to buy.

Tens of thousands of benefits claimants will be referred to food banks by the Government, which is worried that many Britons face a stark choice: starvation or feeding themselves by begging or stealing.

Circumstances vary enormously.
Of course.

What does the poor guy do who has no gadgets to sell and no luxuries he can do without to surrenderl, because he's already living on the breadline?
Follow the advice given? (food vouchers or the like, per the OP)

Think and find one good thing about him/her to change his/her life?

I'm not a religious person at all, but a lot of the 'scriptures' in many (supposedly - opposed) religions don't do much more than codify (with an arbitrary divine slant) standard human social traits (don't kill, don't steal, don't cheat etc.) and common sense and, in the context of this thread, the one that seems most apt to my mind is "Help yourself (ND: first) and (ND: maybe) God will help you".

Little aggravates me more, than the levels of assistance people seemingly expect from all and sundry these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for social assistance by the State to those who need it, temporarily through life's knocks, or permanently through disability/accidents. But there has to be a flipside, a 'contract' with those who benefit from it, to get themselves out of their assisted situation soonest/as best as possible. And penalties for those who do not (eventually or deliberately). If that's what it take to get people to gain some or more self-respect, so be it.

Archived