Why are bus drivers so slap happy on the brakes?

Yesterday I decided to travel into town on the bus. I had my daughter and 4 year old son with me. We were the last to get on the bus and so- as usual- it set off before we had found a seat. The driver accelerated quickly and then had to slam his brakes on for a red light at a pedestrian crossing. My initial reaction was to protect my son but this caused me to stumble into one of the hand rails, resulting in a spectacular purple bruise this morning on my right thigh! I was glad it was me and not my daughter or son.

Why do bus drivers need to drive at such a pace and then brake at the last minute?

This seems to be a recent thing in bus travel as I can remember journey's as being a leisurely experience.

As mentioned before this was the second time in a month that something like this has happened to me. Earlier this month it was a gorgeous blue and purple ensemble on my left arm.

In future I'm driving in. Parking the car is cheaper than the bus fares, and I know that I will get there safely.

The few that do care watch to see that you are seated before moving off- and drive the bus properly, moving off slowly and giving plenty of braking time. The amount of times that I have seen OAP's getting on the bus with obvious mobility problems and the bus has set off at a lick before they have been seated. I have asked them to stop to allow myself or others to be seated but been met with tutting or deaf ears.

I have noticed this before and seen some elderly people stumble or get thrown when the bus sets off but it doesn't happen often

Another thing, and this is the passengers at fault, it states clearly on all buses to press the bell in plenty of time to alert the driver but to stay seated until the bus has stopped. The number of people who press the bell then get up and stand near the driver and then they tut or moan if they get thrown by the motion of the bus, or even press the bell a couple of metres away from the stop.

Poor driving by bus drivers is one reason i decided to take my test and get a car.

I hated their attitude, their disregard for public saftey and their lousy manners.

Im sure there are lots of well mannered, safe and competent bus drivers but im yet to meet one.

Poor driving by bus drivers is one reason i decided to take my test and get a car.

I hated their attitude, their disregard for public saftey and their lousy manners.

Im sure there are lots of well mannered, safe and competent bus drivers but im yet to meet one.

if you get £7.50 an hour bore stiff with a crap down end job, do you think you will have a nice atitude?

if you get £7.50 an hour bore stiff with a crap down end job, do you think you will have a nice atitude?

Yes, i know i would and seeing as you dont know me you cant exactly say im wrong or lying:P

You probably will though but then thats internet fora for you.

By the way their wage may be low but they are stilll suposed to be professional drivers. If they dont like it then they should get another job.

Archived