How long for broken ribs to heal?

Broken ribs take a couple of months to heal,I didnt think they strapped them anymore because it inhibits your breathing.Who strapped them for you.

Northern General m8, it's only about 4 or 5 inches wide the bandage.

My breathing is better with it on to be honest as i couldn't breath properly earlier.

Broken ribs take a couple of months to heal,I didnt think they strapped them anymore because it inhibits your breathing.Who strapped them for you.

He said the hospital. I was surprised - I worked in A&E (years ago) and broken ribs were always left alone - strapping was thought to impede proper breathing and increase the risk of developing a chest infection.

My breathing is better with it on to be honest as i couldn't breath properly earlier.

I have been there it is really painful,i found clutching a cushion to my chest when i got out of bed helped a lot,my doctor would not strap mine up .

Had it for about 9weeks then got up one morning and i was right as rain.

Not sure I'd trust the fracture clinic at Northern General! :suspect:

A few year back I broke my collar bone in France. They strapped me up in this amazing harness that was tightened by velcro and told me to get someone to re-tighten it every day.

When I went to the Northern General on my return to the UK, the doctor there said "What's all this rubbish? We don't need any of that" and removed it all. I found out a couple of years later that if you separate the broken ends of a bone, they grow towards each other and heals without loss of length. The harness was an attempt to do that.

When I broke my ribs 20 years ago they were no longer strapping them for all the reasons given in an earlier post, but mainly because they don't aid the healing in any way as the ribs are 'self-supporting' in the rib cage.

John X

• 5 months later...

Bone can take 6 weeks to heal or months! If it's not healing, there are things out there to help. I broke my tibia my few years back and it took over a 18 months. Needed to use Exogen to get it to heal after 2 operations on it. May be worth having a look into if it's still not healed.

Archived