House location/history querie

stevecrofts

Hi Crookesey

That sounds about right.I have an old Sheffield map from the 40/50s and

Park Grange Rd only went as far as that then.I have seen this entrance on

Google Maps but can,t go up the lane on the net.

i will have to walk up the lane and have a look.

Can you rmember if the cottage/house was 2 storey ?

and thanks for your help.

Steve

It is bog standard Victorian gate house (loads of them in Sheffield), were the bedrooms in the roof space?

That is the gate house to Norfolk Lodge, not been up there as public access

is restricted, but I think the old house no longer exists.

Queen Victoria used to stay in a house owned by the Duke of Norfolk when she visited Sheffield. The royal train would pull up in the sidings opposite McDonalds, where there was an impressive arch and a drive leading up to the house, our city fathers have managed to sort that out, in their usual manner. :loopy:

Hi crookesy

I saw a few pictures of the house but I don,t think this is it,I am sure that it was a 2 storey house.

the confusion arises because my dad had Park Grange Cottage as his address

on my birth cert,but later I found Park Grange Flats listed as another address

so it could be we moved soon after I was born into the 2 storey house I remember.It was probably on the Norfolk Park estate,have to do some more

dectective work, thanks for the input.

Steve

Hi crookesy

I saw a few pictures of the house but I don,t think this is it,I am sure that it was a 2 storey house.

the confusion arises because my dad had Park Grange Cottage as his address

on my birth cert,but later I found Park Grange Flats listed as another address

so it could be we moved soon after I was born into the 2 storey house I remember.It was probably on the Norfolk Park estate,have to do some more

dectective work, thanks for the input.

Steve

Google Queens Towers, a Victorian folly, you should have been below it on the other side of the road.

When I lived on the Norfolk Park I remember the Queens tower had a cottage I think that it got made into flats later.. I also remember another cottage on the opposite side of the road that would be the one belonging to Norfolk Lodge but it wasn't very big from what I remember. I don't know if they are still standing though unless they are listed buildings.

Just done a search for listed British buildings and Queens tower is there and there is a good birds eye view of it don't know if it rings any bells as that is a two storey building.

Queen Victoria used to stay in a house owned by the Duke of Norfolk when she visited Sheffield. The royal train would pull up in the sidings opposite McDonalds, where there was an impressive arch and a drive leading up to the house, our city fathers have managed to sort that out, in their usual manner. :loopy:

What is the :loopy: bit about !

And what is the load of rubbish that pecedes it please ?

What is the :loopy: bit about !

And what is the load of rubbish that pecedes it please ?

I can't help your lack of intelligence and sense of local history, if you are accusing me of being a liar, kindly say so and prove it.

Now I suggest that you seek the safety of your monitor, keyboard warrior. :suspect:

Archived