NCP car park - daylight robbery

Rageness

I'd of thought that in today's electronic age that there would be a web site up and running, easy to find and navigate that would post all the car parks and their charges. Maybe the Crucible or other venues should put such info on their web sites, maybe just stating which are the three car parks closest to the venue and again with the prices. Something like that would I think bring prices down somewhat.

The crucible dont have a car park though do they so how / why would they list prices on their own website.

It's easy for anyone to think "I'm going to the theatre, i'm taking a car, i know, i'll check where I can park and how much"

NCP's are a joke!!!!!!

Parking in Sheffield generally is a joke. Other major cities are much cheaper!! Get it sorted Sheffield

No major city is cheaper. In fact, most are dearer. Also, how would you suggest that Sheffield gets it sorted, what influence do you think Sheffield can make on the prices that car park operators have?

I got robbed there on Thursday. Parked there to go to the cinema with my son. Just went over the two hour mark so it jumped from £5.50 to £9.90. That's the 'robbing' part. It cost more than the cinema tickets. I usually park down by the canal and walk in but was in a hurry.

You used to be able to get a parking voucher and discount for the NCP from the Odeon when purchasing tickets. The NCP is a total rip off, we never use it. We usually park in the carpark behind the HUBS. I'm surprised that the NCP hasn't lowered its prices now that there is a lot more competition from the new multistories in the city centre.

Parking in most NCP/Q Parks in any city is over priced I know people that have parked in Liverpool and paid £12 for 2/3 hours.

There are places in Sheffield that are cheaper and so its worth checking them out...i think there is one a bit further along Arundel Gate that is advertised as being about £4 all day - I dont drive so am not 100% sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I also got stung by this ncp!

Went to see a band at the o2 last week, as I am quite heavily pregnant I wanted to park quite close by as I knew during the gig I'd be on my feet for a couple of hours! Stupid I know, but we didn't check the prices! Like others have said expected to pay about £5 particularly as it was after 8pm! Instead we were stung with a £9.90 charge!! Unbelievable!! Will just put up with the walk to a cheaper car park next time!

I got robbed there on Thursday. Parked there to go to the cinema with my son. Just went over the two hour mark so it jumped from £5.50 to £9.90. That's the 'robbing' part. It cost more than the cinema tickets. I usually park down by the canal and walk in but was in a hurry.

Yep, exactly the same happened to me :rant:

It won't happen again.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion the charges for the NCP car park at Arundel gate are bordering on extortion. Whenever my wife and I visited Sheffield Theatres in the past, we have always parked at this car park near the Crucible, as there was a special night rate for theatre goers and the ability to pre-pay

I therefore felt 'ripped off' when we entered this car park last Friday, only to discover that the 'special rate' had been abolished and that it was going to cost me £9.90 to park! There were no tarriff boards on the way in and once in I was effectively 'trapped' as I would have to pay to leave and go somewhere else. There are signs up advertising the car park as Theatres Car Park.

I have asked for comment from the Crucible. They have received numerous complaints from Theatre goers, and have approached NCP, but as the signs do not specifically mention the 'Crucible or Lyceum' they are apparently powerless to do anything about it. Our only option is to boycott this car park, tell all your friends and relatives, and most importantly rather than just moan about it, complain to NCP as I have below.

NCP 0845 050 70 80

I have contacted NCP head office, to complain about this car park for the following reasons :-

1. The parking charges are excessive and are more than you would reasonable expect to pay for a few hours parking in the evening.

2. As this car park is located near three theatres (Crucible/Lyceum/City hall)The withdrawal of the pre-pay facility inevitably means that there are long queues to pay, when leaving the theatre. For some people this means having to pay more, just due to the time spent queuing, as they may slip into the next charge band.

3. There was an attendant when we arrived to park, and perform the unecessary task of passing tokens from the entrance barrier to drivers, but when cars were leaving and one of the barriers failed, there was not an attendant anywhere. There is a small customer service / office near the exit, but this was unmanned. Where is the customer service?

4. I could not insert my credit card into the meter to pay, and again there was nobody to help, luckily I had just enough cash to pay.

I will be visiting the Crucible on Friday 16th Dec 2011, but I won't be parking at this car park. Instead I will look to Park at Q-park on Charles street. they have a night rate (from 6pm) of only £5 and you can get a discount voucher from the Crucible, if you call in at the Box Office to claim your 1 hour free parking voucher either in advance of your visit or on the night.

If you have read this far, well done for sticking with my rant. I hope you will do as I did and complain to NCP. If enough people complain, perhaps they will eventually get the message.

Archived