B&Q refused refund

i bought a twin hitachi drill set two days ago,got it home unpacked it and started to charge the battery.whilst reading the instructions i realized it was a 5 hour charge.it dosent state this on the box.no good to me so i packed it back in the box,never used it, its as it was when opened,took it back to BQ ,was asked if i had plugged it in and being honest i said yes,they never even checked the contents just refused me a refund.i was told i should have read the instructions first or even bought it trade was also told if it was their own brand they could have refunded me,i asked for the manager who couldent be bothered to come down from his hiding place.the drills are fine and were cheap enough,but it should state that it only comes with a trickle charger.it says on my reciept if goods are not as described im entitled to a refund so surely it must state it has a five hour charging cycle,im miffed off with BQ.

it says on my reciept if goods are not as described im entitled to a refund so surely it must state it has a five hour charging cycle,im miffed off with BQ.

Did the product description state it was less than a five hour charge cycle? If not then I'm afraid it wasn't inaccurately described.

Can't you get a refund under the 'it's not fit for purpose' rule? as it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it?

Possibly not. If you buy a three-inch nail, knowing it's a three-inch nail, for a job that needs a six-inch nail, you can't return it as unfit for purpose because it's your own silly fault.

In the OP's specific case, the fact that he needs a charge lasting over five hours is not relevant, unless he had good reason to believe that the one he bought would last over five hours. That, in turn, means it matters how it was advertised and what it says on the box.

Archived