B&Q refused refund

Can't you get a refund under the 'it's not fit for purpose' rule? as it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it?

By what stretch of the imagination was it not fit for purpose?

It is a cordless drill. You charge it up, put the battery on and drill holes with it. What else would you expect it to do? :confused:

John X

By what stretch of the imagination was it not fit for purpose?

It is a cordless drill. You charge it up, put the battery on and drill holes with it. What else would you expect it to do? :confused:

John X

Because he wanted a drill that would recharge in 1 hour and not have to wait 5 hours before being able to use the drill again, does that end your confusion ?.

Because he wanted a drill that would recharge in 1 hour and not have to wait 5 hours before being able to use the drill again, does that end your confusion ?.

No it doesn't.

I'm not sure that you completely understand what 'fit for purpose' means under the terms of the Sales of Goods Act.

John X

Can't you get a refund under the 'it's not fit for purpose' rule? as it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it?

If more shops are refusing to refund or exchange in these circumstances, then if all the specs are not completely clear on the box, people just won't buy.

The purpose is drilling holes, it's fit for that purpose.

You can't just invent your own 'purpose', not check, and then declare that it's not fit for it...

.....................how about 'good customer service?' That seems to have gone out of the window these days.

Maybe there is a reason why electrical goods which have been charged cannot be returned. A quick Google seems to suggest that many other retailers have a similar policy to B&Q.

jb

Maybe there is a reason why electrical goods which have been charged cannot be returned.

Electrical goods are subject to a different set of regulations.

If someone plugs the drill into a supply that might damage it, this may not become apparent until it is returned, sold to another customer and then fails, causing injury.

To protect the retailer from any claim for damages, they need to know that the equipment hasn't been used, ie. connected to an electricity supply since leaving the factory.

I bought a 110V transformer from Cash Converters once. It had a brown burn mark on the side of the case so I opened it up and saw that there was a loose live wire. I took it back to Cash Converters and asked for a refund or better still a discount for it being damaged. They told me that now they were aware of the problem they could not now sell it, even at a discount. I told them that not only had I fixed the problem but that I had City & Guilds Electronics Servicing (Part 2) which qualifies me to make such a repair.

It cut no ice, and they gave me a refund and slung it in a skip round the back.

So it is annoying I know, but them's the rules.

John X

Electrical goods are subject to a different set of regulations.

If someone plugs the drill into a supply that might damage it, this may not become apparent until it is returned, sold to another customer and then fails, causing injury.

To protect the retailer from any claim for damages, they need to know that the equipment hasn't been used, ie. connected to an electricity supply since leaving the factory.

I bought a 110V transformer from Cash Converters once. It had a brown burn mark on the side of the case so I opened it up and saw that there was a loose live wire. I took it back to Cash Converters and asked for a refund or better still a discount for it being damaged. They told me that now they were aware of the problem they could not now sell it, even at a discount. I told them that not only had I fixed the problem but that I had City & Guilds Electronics Servicing (Part 2) which qualifies me to make such a repair.

It cut no ice, and they gave me a refund and slung it in a skip round the back.

So it is annoying I know, but them's the rules.

John X

Excellent. So it would seem that there is indeed a perfectly valid reason why the drill could not be returned. Thread over.

jb

Excellent. So it would seem that there is indeed a perfectly valid reason why the drill could not be returned.

From the "I decided I don't want it" point of view, that is absolutely correct.

From the "not fit for purpose" point of view, it doesn't excuse the retailer from giving a full refund; but based on what we are reading here, I don't think the OP can claim that it was not fit for purpose.

I actually thought that by "five hour charge" he meant the charge would only last for five hours and he needed one that lasted longer. I don't think there is any hope of claiming a drill is unfit for purpose, under your statutory legal rights, merely because it takes longer to recharge the battery than you hoped it would. If the item description did not specify how long the battery should take to recharge, he cannot return it as falsely described either - missing information is not false information.

i bought a twin hitachi drill set two days ago,got it home unpacked it and started to charge the battery.whilst reading the instructions i realized it was a 5 hour charge.it dosent state this on the box.no good to me so i packed it back in the box,never used it, its as it was when opened,took it back to BQ ,was asked if i had plugged it in and being honest i said yes,they never even checked the contents just refused me a refund.i was told i should have read the instructions first or even bought it trade was also told if it was their own brand they could have refunded me,i asked for the manager who couldent be bothered to come down from his hiding place.the drills are fine and were cheap enough,but it should state that it only comes with a trickle charger.it says on my reciept if goods are not as described im entitled to a refund so surely it must state it has a five hour charging cycle,im miffed off with BQ.

I work for b&q you should have asked there's always an electrician on or around isle 1 to 6

Archived