Shopping on Amazon experiences 2011

Hopman

Christmas at our house has been arriving courtesy of Amazon every year for about a decade, birthdays too :) I've never had a problem with an order and have bought everything from books and DVDs through to perfume, DIY products and cooking utensils, both on Amazon itself and the marketplace. The wish list feature is handy, especially now that you can add items from other sites, for instance if your heart's desire is available from John Lewis or Marks&Sparks, you can still add it to your wish list on Amazon.

Regards,

Stockholder in Amazon.

Oooh, really? I can feel a sudden flurry of internet activity coming on! Ditto re the Santa and birthday deliveries. We bought a raclette set from Amazon after having scoured every shop in Sheffield, most of whom had no idea what we talking about, even John Lewis (shock, horror). Thank goodness for Amazon.

I use Amazon (UK), Amazon (Germany) and Amazon (US) regularly. I've no complaints about the quality of the goods, nor the delivery time. BUT there are 2 problems I've encountered:

Amazon in one country often refuse to supply items to a customer in another country. They say 'The manufacturer refuses to allow us to ship the item to your address.'

When that happens, I go to another retailer and - surprise, surprise - the manufacturer doesn't impose any such limitations on that dealer ... I wonder how the manufacturer gets away with imposing limitations on Amazon and not on other retailers?

Especially when the 'manufacturer' is Amazon?

(A Kindle [Amazon product] costs considerably more from Amazon UK than it does from Amazon in the US. - £111 ($170) in the UK, but $114 in the US.)

The second complaint (And it too concerns Kindle) isn't really Amazon's fault - but I'm surprised they haven't done anything about it.

If you buy a book or a newspaper in the UK, you don't have to pay VAT.

If you buy an e-book (And don't cause a tree to be chopped down to make the paper on which your e-book is printed), then - as a special reward - you can pay 20% VAT in the UK.

Archived