Should I be jailed for breaking the law?

Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be jailed for smoking a spliff?

• You should be executed!
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 5 years.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 year.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 month.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 week.
    • Yes, you should be jailed for 1 day.
    • No, cannabis should be legal.
    • Don't know.

I saw a documentary sometime ago about bootleg alcohol in Russia- it contained, I believe, some form of menthol?

Anyway, people who drank it were going blind within days- the dodgy chemical in it directly attacked the optic nerve.

Now, alcohol is most definitly not a safe substance (compared to cannabis, for example, which has a total of zero deaths directly attributed to it), but, due to the fact that it is regulated- users are guaranteed that, if bought legally, their drug of choice will be uncontaminated and of a specific strength.

Which enables alcohol to be used sensibly, in which case it is fairly safe, or abused, in which case it isn't.

This is not the case with the currently illegal drugs- for example, a heroin user cannot obtain regulated, uncontaminated heroin of known strength.

Hence, why some heroin users die from overdoses. If heroin was regulated, the only deaths from overdoses would be from abuse- it would be entirely possible to use heroin and be almost 100% safe from overdose otherwise.

i.e. the vast majority of harm and deaths attributed to drug use, are, in fact, the result of drugs being illegal (as is the majority of crime attributed to it).

Regulate it, and you drastically cut both harm, and crime.

With cannabis, similar facts apply- increasingly cannabis is cut with nasty substances like fibreglass, bysome dealers, to bulk it up and increase profit.

A generation of cannabis users are at risk of serious health issues from these contaminents- which are only there becasue our legal system refuses to regualte cannabis and is content to let it's distribution be handled by criminals.

Why risk imprisonment by using an illegal drug when you can use legalised alcohol ?

Is it the fact that it is illegal that is the real appeal ?

A lot of cannabis users have a degree of intelligence, judgement and discernment- they can see that using cannabis is considerably safer than alcohol.

It's not that it's illegality is of any special appeal, more that some people, when it comes to ridiculous laws, will not be bullied into blindly obeying them just for the sake of it.

I saw a documentary sometime ago about bootleg alcohol in Russia- it contained, I believe, some form of menthol?

Anyway, people who drank it were going blind within days- the dodgy chemical in it directly attacked the optic nerve.

Now, alcohol is most definitly not a safe substance (compared to cannabis, for example, which has a total of zero deaths directly attributed to it), but, due to the fact that it is regulated- users are guaranteed that, if bought legally, their drug of choice will be uncontaminated and of a specific strength.

Which enables alcohol to be used sensibly, in which case it is fairly safe, or abused, in which case it isn't.

This is not the case with the currently illegal drugs- for example, a heroin user cannot obtain regulated, uncontaminated heroin of known strength.

Hence, why some heroin users die from overdoses. If heroin was regulated, the only deaths from overdoses would be from abuse- it would be entirely possible to use heroin and be almost 100% safe from overdose otherwise.

i.e. the vast majority of harm and deaths attributed to drug use, are, in fact, the result of drugs being illegal (as is the majority of crime attributed to it).

Regulate it, and you drastically cut both harm, and crime.

With cannabis, similar facts apply- increasingly cannabis is cut with nasty substances like fibreglass, bysome dealers, to bulk it up and increase profit.

A generation of cannabis users are at risk of serious health issues from these contaminents- which are only there becasue our legal system refuses to regualte cannabis and is content to let it's distribution be handled by criminals.

Methanol, due to the incorrect distillation (wrong temperature). Distillation requires a license to make sure your competent for that very reason over here.

I am currently smoking cannabis in a spliff.

I paid for the cannabis with money I earned (and paid income tax and NI on).

I had to buy it illegally, as there was no legal source for me to purchase it from.

I'd really like to buy it from a legal source, or perhaps even grow my own for personal use if I could acquire a license.

By smoking this spliff I could be jailed for 5 years. I'd lose my job and it would cost the taxpayer £250 000 +.

Should I be jailed for 5 years for having a spliff?

The total dead from the Afghan war last year is thus 10,081, including 2,043 civilians killed either in Taliban attacks or in military operations targeting the insurgents. Nearly 1,300 Afghan police were killed battling the Taliban, while 5,225 insurgents were reported killed.

Your chilling out could well be contributing to that.

I hope you're still relaxed.

"No", protests our forum idiot, "It's locally cultivated".

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1976867,00.html

It's hardly news that Afghanistan's huge opium crops supply more than 90% of the world's heroin. But now U.N. officials say Afghanistan is also the world's biggest producer of another drug — hashish. In its first attempt to calculate how much cannabis is grown in the country, the U.N. Office of Drugs and Crime says in a report released in Kabul on Wednesday that Afghan farmers earned up to $94 million last year from selling 1,500 to 3,500 tons of hash — the resin extracted from cannabis crops.

U.S. and NATO officials believe that at least part of this revenue goes to insurgent groups to finance their attacks against coalition forces in southern Afghanistan, where almost all of the 139 soldiers killed this year have died.

I see where "Dope" comes into it.

upinwath - that would be the place where drug productions was pretty much eradicated until we invaded, would it?

That's the place. Morocco was the biggest exporter to the UK but the Taliban, killers of British troops, have now taken over as the largest supplier.

That means there is a better than average chance the forum dope (smoker) is assisting in the killing of British troops regardless of how many excuses he makes for his stupidity.

Perhaps halal butt could call a few dead servicemen's families and tell them how relaxed he is.

It's hardly news that Afghanistan's huge opium crops supply more than 90% of the world's heroin. But now U.N. officials say Afghanistan is also the world's biggest producer of another drug — hashish. In its first attempt to calculate how much cannabis is grown in the country, the U.N. Office of Drugs and Crime says in a report released in Kabul on Wednesday that Afghan farmers earned up to $94 million last year from selling 1,500 to 3,500 tons of hash — the resin extracted from cannabis crops.

U.S. and NATO officials believe that at least part of this revenue goes to insurgent groups to finance their attacks against coalition forces in southern Afghanistan, where almost all of the 139 soldiers killed this year have died.

Your chilling out could well be contributing to that.

I hope you're still relaxed.

Yet, once again, if cannabis were legal, the problem would be lessened- afghanistan farmers could legitimately sell their produce to the UK and any other countries that legalise it.

Archived